Full path in the Title bar

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

topstar

Full path in the Title bar

Post by topstar »

I am a new user, and (believe me!) I have done a bit of checking before creating this question, but could not find an anwer. Would be grateful to anyone who can tell me - How can I remove the Full path being displayed on the Title Bar of a document?

I tried Configure - > Preferences - > View - > View Options and then removed the Tick on "full path names on document selector and tabs"

But it does not seem to work.

I need this because it is annoying to work with files which are under a long path with each directory having really long names, in which case entire path is so long, the filename cannot be displayed.

I know in such a case, I can solve this problem easily by having the document selector in the left side and remove the "show full path" for all files. But I do not like the document selector being on all the time on the left side. So I am looking for this very simple option of the title bar just displaying the filename and not the entire path.
jeffy

Post by jeffy »

Wouldn't it be best if the file name were always displayed? For example:

C:\files\whatever\wherever\whenever\whyever\whyohwhy\te...\filename.txt
webmasta

Post by webmasta »

Did you try just having the document tabs turned on instead of the selector? you can right-click on the tab and deselect "show full paths" .. doesnt use much space to have it turned on. (view /document tabs)
topstar

Post by topstar »

No ! I guess you did not understand my problem.

In my case I have got around 20 files open at the same time in a directory which is embedded deep below the C:\ directory tree structure. It is nearly 6 sub directories in the tree and each directory name is so long that finally it does not display the name of the file at all!

So the title bar in Textpad does not display as you have shown in your example

(C:\files\whatever\wherever\whenever\whyever\whyohwhy\te...\filename.txt)

Textpad is displaying the title bar as

C:\files\whatever\wherever\whenever\whyever\whyohwhy\...

I hope it is clear now ! As you can see I cannot see what the filename is !!!!!

And this is a MAJOR PROBLEM right now for me with 50 files inside one textpad instance. Unless I keep the document selector open I cannot see the name of the file I am working on. I do not want the document selector as I dont like it ! So the only way I have got around to checking which file I am working on right now is to keep pressing F12 now and then to open the "Save As" dialog box. This shows me the filename and then I press Escape. But all this could be avoided if we have the options of suppressing the full path in the title bar.

I know most textpad users may not face this problem as they may not be working under 6 subdirectories below like I do. Or they may not be working with multiple files. But when they do both it is a really annoying problem at the moment!

This could of course be because I dont know if there is a way to suppress the paths in the title bar, or another way of checking which file I am working with. Or is this a clever problem intentionally maintained in the evaluation copies?

Regards
topstar

Post by topstar »

The "No!" in my previous reply was an answer to Jeffy's question.

Webmasta - Thanks for the "Document Tabs" tip. I never realised what that does so far.

Thanks very much.
jeffy

Post by jeffy »

topstar wrote:So the title bar in Textpad does not display as you have shown in your example

(C:\files\whatever\wherever\whenever\whyever\whyohwhy\te...\filename.txt)

Textpad is displaying the title bar as

C:\files\whatever\wherever\whenever\whyever\whyohwhy\...

I hope it is clear now ! As you can see I cannot see what the filename is !!!!!
We're saying the same thing. I agree, it does not currently say the filename when the path is too long. My post was a suggestion of an easy solution that would, I think, give you what you want.

On a slightly different subjet, it would be nice if the document selector justified to the RIGHT, instead of LEFT (it currently left-justifies). If it right-justified instead, then I could display full paths, but squish the selector to be skinny.

Instead of displaying this (as it does now):

| C:\applications\whatev |

It could display this:

| ubdirectory\myfile.txt |
| bdirectory\myfile2.txt |
| bdirectory\myfile3.txt |
| bdirectory\myfile4.txt |
| bdirectory\myfile5.txt |
| bdirectory\myfile6.txt |
| bdirectory\myfile7.txt |
| bdirectory\myfile8.txt |
| bdirectory\myfile9.txt |
| directory\myfile10.txt |

Much clearer!

I'm going to post this document selector suggestion to the enhancement forum.
ak47wong

Post by ak47wong »

topstar wrote:So the only way I have got around to checking which file I am working on right now is to keep pressing F12 now and then to open the "Save As" dialog box. This shows me the filename and then I press Escape. But all this could be avoided if we have the options of suppressing the full path in the title bar.
topstar, this doesn't solve your problem with the title bar, but there is another way to show the current filename. Press Ctrl+F1 and the current file stats are shown in the status bar.

The command is FileStatistics and you could bind it to another key (like F12) if you use it often.

P.S. i just registered TextPad today and this is my first post :)