Make File Compare less cryptic

Ideas for new features

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

Beetlefly

Make File Compare less cryptic

Post by Beetlefly »

All:

I would suggest that the File Compare be redesigned to be less cryptic...

Textpad as it is (v4.7) [EXAMPLE]

Compare: (<)D:\CODE\VB\PORT\CSwn.cls (95505 bytes)
with: (>)V:\CODE\VB\PORT\CSwn.cls (95296 bytes)

2611,2616c2610,2612
< Temp = gExpression.Evaluate(Me.StrikeOverride, Cpn)
< If IsEmpty(Temp) Then
< StrikeNew = Cpn
< Else
< StrikeNew = Temp
< End If

I suggest splitting the compare window into a sizeable two-pane window which show differences spatially with a color-coded background. For example, a section which is wholly missing from the other file could be color-coded tan (for example) and a section which is different between the two files could be coded purple (for example). Of course, the user should be allowed to change this colors.

Here is how the spatial representation might look (mind you this would be in a fixed-width font with two bi-directionally scrollable panes) where line sets (2610, 2608) and (2717, 2609) have a white background and those in between have a different color background...

2610. | 2608.
2611. Temp = gExpression.Evaluat |
2612. If IsEmpty(Tem) Then |
2613. StrikeNew = Cpn |
2614. Else |
2615. StrikeNew = Temp |
2616. End If |
2717. '---------------------------------| 2609. '------------------

This idea is not mine, rather it is functionality currently provided by a folder synchronization utility called FolderMatch (http://www.foldermatch.com/fmdownload.htm).

Although *file comparison* should be an afterthought on a product like FolderMatch -- I believe it to be a paramount feature of a good editor, and in TextPad, it isn't as polished as it could be. If you concur, please vote accordingly.

-- Beetlefly
[/img]
CJ

Post by CJ »

Hello Beetlefly.

I agree with you 100%. The file comparison needs to be graphical in just the way you describe. There are a few text editors or external diff programs that do a good job of this.

The best one I've found is Araxis Merge. It is a program dedicated soley to comparing files and does an amazing job. It lets you scroll vertically to find colour-marked lines where the files are different. The differences are highlighted within the line as well. It then allows you to transfer a line (or group of lines) from one file to the other, thereby eliminating the difference.

CJ.