Working with Oracle PL/SQL files

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

Akarius

Working with Oracle PL/SQL files

Post by Akarius »

Hi,

I'm a new textpad user. It's a great tool but since we work much with oracle 9.2 here, I need to know if I can make it work easily with it before choosing it as my sql editor ( I hate sqlplus worksheet ... )

I saw some topics on how to got sqlplus 3.3 to work with textpad ... but I can't find the DOS version of sqlplus

select sysdate from dual;
exit;

Code: Select all

SQL*Plus: Release 9.2.0.1.0 - Production on Mon Jul 28 16:19:38 2003

Copyright (c) 1982, 2002, Oracle Corporation.  All rights reserved.

Connected to:
Oracle9i Release 9.2.0.1.0 - Production
JServer Release 9.2.0.1.0 - Production

SYSDATE
---------
28-JUL-03

Disconnected from Oracle9i Release 9.2.0.1.0 - Production
JServer Release 9.2.0.1.0 - Production

Bonne exécution du processus
If someone could tell me some tips to make it work even better with oracle I'd be grateful.

Thx
Akarius
dejo

TextPad works great as PL/SQL IDE!

Post by dejo »

I work with 5 developers and we all use TextPad for our PL/SQL coding. By setting up TextPad Tools to do our compiling and using its regular expression matching on the output to give us links back to errors, we are quite happy. The DOS version of sqlplus should be in the same directory (\oracle\ora92\bin in my case) as the Windowed version, just called sqlplus.exe instead of sqlplusw.exe. I've configured my "compile" tool in the following manner:

Command: cmd.exe (i.e. DOS command)
Parameters: C:\oracle\ora92\bin\sqlplus -L -S username/password@connectstring @"$FileName"
Initial Folder: $FileDir
Capture Output checked.
Regular Expression: ^\([0-9]+\)/\([0-9]+\)
File: empty Line: 1 Column: 2

With this setup you can just run the tool on your code and it will get executed in SQL*Plus. By capturing the output and doing the regular expression matching, I am able to double-click on errors in the output and be taken back to that line and column in the source file where it believes the error is. Very cool!
jeffy

Re: TextPad works great as PL/SQL IDE!

Post by jeffy »

Unbelievable! I never knew this was possible. Very cool.

Actually, though, now that I think about it, I could never use this. Why, because the database is never on my computer. I only use sqlplus via telnet.

CAN I set this up to use a database on the internet, via ODBC or JDBC, and put SQLPlus on my machine?

Hmmm....
dejo

Re: TextPad works great as PL/SQL IDE!

Post by dejo »

Almost all the time, my databases are never on the same box. I have the Oracle client software installed on the TextPad machine and am using SQL*Net to connect to the databases. As long as my Windows-client SQL*Plus (SQLPLUSW) can connect to the database, so can the command-line and thus TextPad. Works great!