Cannot upgrade to 4.7 : error 1714, missing 4.6.msi

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

brekelm

Cannot upgrade to 4.7 : error 1714, missing 4.6.msi

Post by brekelm »

When I try to install 4.7 the installer tries to use Textpad.4.6.msi to un-install the previous version. However, I don't have that file (and I ám a legitimate Textpad registered user)! How can I install 4.7?
helios

Post by helios »

Manually uninstall TextPad using Control Panel/Add Remove Programs, and then try installing TextPad 4.7 again.

Stephen MacDonald
Helios Software Solutions
brekelm

Not possible un-installing using Windows un-installer

Post by brekelm »

That doesn't work either. Windows keeps asking for the 4.6 msi file!
soulside

Post by soulside »

Im dealing with about the same issue. However, the message I get states:

Error 1714.The older version of TextPad 4.7 cannot be removed. Contact your technical support group.

History: I had TextPad installed previously, v4.5 I believe. I had attempted to remove and re-install the application but failed. I recieved an error msg during my attempt to uninstall stating that the un-install failed . At any rate, I attempted to remove it manualy including registry entries, temp files, and basicly anything that contained a reference to TextPad.

I have since been unable to install any 4x version of TextPad. However 3x installs work just fine.

Any ideas?
soulside

Post by soulside »

Well, I have a bit more information. I hit the TextPad ftp server and downloaded all available versions of TextPad starting with 4.0 . It seems I was wrong in my previous post about versions 4+ being problematic. I can install up to but not including, version 4.6.2 . I get the following message:

Windows Installer: The configuration data for this product is corrupt. contact your support personnel.

Im still workin on it but I would be greatful for any help or ideas.

brekelm: You can get the 4.6 MSI file in the following way:

Go to ftp://download.textpad.com/pub/textpad4.6
Download the correct version [ie. txpeng462.exe for English]
Begin the install.
During install, Install Shield will unpack files to a
TEMP folder on your hard drive. You can try to locate
the correct folder and copy it out of the TEMP directory
or hope that after your attempted re-install, the msi file persists.

The MSI file you seek is gonna be in that TEMP folder.

Then all you need to do is either attempt to uninstall via your new copy of Textpad.4.6.msi or better yet, try and let the new TextPad installer work with the 4.6 msi. I have not tested this solution specificly but I personaly would try it.

Just a thought or two lol :)
Good luck
brekelm

Thanks for the tip.

Post by brekelm »

Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately, due to some other problems, I had to reformat my harddisk again. And re-installing, of course, wasn't a problem then.
rtheis

Works!

Post by rtheis »

I've been fighting with this problem for the past few day and this solved it! :lol:
wipper

Post by wipper »

Maybe the reinstall of 4.6 worked for some. When I try to reinstall 4.62 to get the required TextPad 4.62.msi file I get the same message as when I try to install 4.72! This is a real box. I can't reinstall 4.62 to get the .msi file because I need the .msi file to reinstall 4.62

Add/remove doesn't work either - same demand for .msi file.

There must be a (messy) manual uninstall. All files and references in the registry.

Anyone (particularly at Helios [do they monitor the forums?]) have another suggestion?

Thanks
wipper

Post by wipper »

Just a note to my previous post. The problem of the missing 4.6.msi file may be due to an upgrade from Win98 SE to Win2000. This doesn't give me a clue of how to obtain a 4.6.msi file though.
smithja2

Messy Uninstall

Post by smithja2 »

Obviously no one monitors this forum. The last posting was over a year ago and there is still no real resolution to the problem of not being able to upgrade if something happend to the textpad4.6.msi file. I've tried every suggestion on this forum and the result I finally got is an error message saying "the configuration data for this product is corrupt" (bang end of story). I'm stuck on version 4.5 and I cannot go any higher. Thanks for your support. :evil:
s_reynisson

Post by s_reynisson »

Did you try the link posted in the Known Problem forum? See here.
If you do please note that "If you use this utility, you may have to reinstall other programs. Caution is advised."
Then I open up and see
the person fumbling here is me
a different way to be
smithja2

Post by smithja2 »

Yes I did. Textpad was not in the list to be cleaned.

The first thing I did was to go in the registry and delete all references to textpad. I did "find next" "delete" until they were all gone. I was pretty sure that would work. When that didn't work I tried the Microsoft clean tool. I executed it and Textpad was not in the list to be cleaned so I just quit out of it. Must be something in the registry that has the name Textpad in code that cannot be found and deleted but Microsoft's install shield sees it. I wonder if there is a way Helios can create a "fix" version that installs without using Microsoft's install shield? Anyway, That's where I'm at.
Thanks for your response and I'll keep looking.

:roll:
helios

Post by helios »

If you email "support@textpad.com", I can send you a copy of TextPad, that you can install without the need of the MSI installer.
Helios Software Solutions
smithja2

Post by smithja2 »

Great!!!

I'll send a message now.

Thanks.

:P