Save bug?

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

mo

Save bug?

Post by mo »

Periodically I make a change, which changes the "Save" icon to colored from grayed out; then I click the icon to save and I get a "Save As" dialog box.

Clicking the "Save As" Dialog box off solves the problem.

This may not be TextPad, but may be my mouse producing double clicks (couldn't be me!). However, I have paid close attention and I do not think this is the case.

mo
Best Wishes!
Mike Olds
Bob Hansen

Post by Bob Hansen »

The icon is grayed out once you have saved and made no changes. If no changes have been made and you click on Save icon, TextPad thinks you want to save it under another name, since it hasn't changed since your last save. Once you make a change, it is active again, not grayed out. It actually makes a lot of sense and easy to work with once you understand how it is working.

I periodically save by clicking on the Save icon. But only need to do that if the icon is not grayed out. If prompted to Save As, I ignore it because I know it hasn't changed since my last Save.

Hope this makes sense, and helps you......good luck,
Bob
mo

Post by mo »

Thanks for the reply, and I admit my English is sometimes convoluted, but I believe it correctly reads that it changes the grayed out icon (no changes made) to a colored one when I make a change (need to save), and that THEN, when I click the icon, it sometimes gives me the SAVE AS dialog box.

This just happened to me a bit ago, and I was watching carefully, and I did not double click. I suspect this is tied in with the wierd select action I get sometimes in TP.
Best Wishes!
Mike Olds
bbadmin
Site Admin

Post by bbadmin »

When the Save As dialog box is displayed, in these circumstances, it indicates that the file has been modified or deleted by another process. I hope this helps.

Keith MacDonald
Helios Software Solutions
mo

Post by mo »

What other process could that be? This is happening instantaneously (that is, it is saving the change, and bringing up the dialog) and I don't have another process running (that I know of) that would be acting on a textpad file.

mo
Best Wishes!
Mike Olds
bbadmin
Site Admin

Post by bbadmin »

The only thing I can suggest is your virus checker. They seem to be responsible for most such problems.

Keith MacDonald
Helios Software Solutions