TextPad hangs on 12.5 MB file

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

Paul Flint

TextPad hangs on 12.5 MB file

Post by Paul Flint »

When I try to open a large file (this time 12.5 MB server log), TextPad seems to hang. I left it sit with the hour glass displaying for what seemed like ages before I just force quit TextPad. I'm using 4.5.0 32 bit edition.

I've been through the FAQ. I've been through a couple of pages of message on this forum, and I tried searching the site, but I didn't turn up anything relevent.

TIA
Paul
Joe

Re: TextPad hangs on 12.5 MB file

Post by Joe »

I have no problem opening a 100MB file, it's your computer, not textpad.
Roy Beatty

Post by Roy Beatty »

You might be experiencing some latency issues over your network. Or the server's processes may have some bufferred writes that it is committing before making the file available. And being a server log, it's possible that it consists of thousands of fragments. Try copying the server log to a *local* hard drive, and then open it in TextPad. You'll probably find that the copying takes a similar amount of time.

FWIW,

Roy
Paul Flint

Post by Paul Flint »

It is on a local disk.

I'm using WindowsME (Japanese) with 192 MB RAM and a Pentium II.
Can't imagine what the problem would be with my system. (But I guess that is why I'm here. )
zridling

Post by zridling »

I'm having the same problem - takes FOREVER to load a 25Mb file - so I'm using UltraEdit instead. Any help?
zridling

Post by zridling »

I'll keep using Ultraedit (damn!). TextPad is so much more efficient and "elegant" and I hate switching between the two for now. Any ideas why it opens large files SO slowly?
MudGuard

Post by MudGuard »

As I just stated on another thread:

It does not open large files slowly for me:

817MB (a zip file) opens almost instantly...
zridling

Post by zridling »

Thus the problem - why is it doing it on MY computer? It shouldn't be. I've NOTHING on this computer that should hinder TextPad's power. Has no one else had this problem... ever? Help!