Textpad crashes when I try to compile with Java

Using the Java SDK with TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, helios, bbadmin, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

Cirex

Textpad crashes when I try to compile with Java

Post by Cirex »

Hello,

Whenever I try to compile my java code in Textpad, it crashes on me. I get a small popup reading "Unexpected and unrecoverable error. Would you like to save a diagnostic file?". If I click Yes, it says it saved a dump file (.dmp), and says to contact support@textpad.com. After that, Textpad closes. If I click No to this prompt, Textpad crashes anyway with the "Textpad has encountered a problem and needs to close..." popup.

I have installed the latest Java SDK 6, update-version 10. I'm pretty sure I installed it via the Setup, and after that, installed Textpad 5. I can see the three Java options (Compile Java, Run Java App... etc) under Tools, so I think Textpad knows where the compiler or SDK is then. But it refuses to let me compile my code.

Anybody have any ideas for me? :( Thanks in advance.
bengebc

Post by bengebc »

I am having the same problem. I go to compile and I get an error message saying "Unexpected and unrecoverable error" just like the guy above? Please advise what to do? The textpad does die right after, and leaves a dump file.
Nicholas Jordan

Post by Nicholas Jordan »

Vista?
bengebc

Post by bengebc »

No, Im not running vista. I think textpad is just strait up stupid??? I ask it to run the javac.exe same problem. I ask it to run from Command Prompt through textpad, same problem. I compile it myself in the Command Prompt and it works just fine. Textpad will run the Java Application, after I compile it in Command Prompt. However it cannot run the javac.exe/java compile at all. Its like it just hates me???
Nicholas Jordan

not really

Post by Nicholas Jordan »

what would be your alternative eitor?
talleyrand

Post by talleyrand »

Have you submitted the dump files to Helios like the message box indicates? They are usually quite prompt in their analysis of the issue.
I choose to fight with a sack of angry cats.
kdbcsci

Textpad crashing

Post by kdbcsci »

I realize that this thread was started a long time ago. I have been having the same problems on my computer which runs Windows 7 64-bit.

I right clicked on the icon for Textpad in my start menu, and went to properties. From there, I found an option to run Textpad in compatibility mode. I am running it in Windows XP Service Pack 3 compatibility mode, and have since been able to compile java without the program crashing.

I hope this is able to help someone out.
tlouvierre

TextPad Compiler

Post by tlouvierre »

:D First, off I installed Java first and then TextPad as instructed by my Professor. So I know that part is in correct order. I am reluctant to find the compile method of the program and my assignment is due today. I mean I will get credit for having the bulk of the program. I just do not know if it runs. Can anyone give me some instruction on what paths to follow so that I can achieve the compiler? I would deeply appreciate it.