replace in multiple files

Ideas for new features

Moderators: AmigoJack, helios, bbadmin, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

aznap

replace in multiple files

Post by aznap »

Please, please, consider this feature in future versions!

I can search within all files in a folder. I can open all the files in the search results and then do a search/replace on all open files. Buts I just had to open 17 files at once to do a replace.

Why should this be necessary?

I have used TextPad for only a couple years, and saves me time almost every day. Up until about a month ago I used it only at work, since I had a mac at home. I have recently replaced that mac with a windows machine, and have been therefore forced to abandon BBEdit.

This is one of the features from BBEdit that I used so often that I automatically try to find the option somewhere in TextPad, forgetting every so often that it just isn't there.

Another one that I would like to see is to be able to drag the file name from the Explorer or Document Selector into the file you are editing to create the text for the relative path to the dragged file to the file you are editing (very useful when creating html links). Is there some clever option hidden somewhere that would enable this sort of thing that I haven't found?
HerNameWasTextPad

Post by HerNameWasTextPad »

Not sure I understood you. Would these help?

Edit -> Copy Other -> File Name
Edit -> Copy Other -> All File Names

Are you saying that you want to replace text in unopened files? Isn't that a job for . . . WildEdit?!
I came in on 4.5 in 2001, moved to 4.7.2 in 2004, moved to 4.7.3 in 2007, moved to 5.4 in 2010, and am excited about 2013. I've said it many times before, and I'll say it many times again: "I love this program."