Editable Macros

Ideas for new features

Moderators: AmigoJack, helios, bbadmin, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

ineuw

Editable macros

Post by ineuw »

For all those who bemoan the lack of editable macros, like myself, this topic has been around forever. I laud the offer of additional payment for development made in an earlier post, and which I also support.

However, after researching the topic, the sad fact may be that regardless of all the noble suggestions and ideas, this may be beyond the control of TP developers. My strong suspicion that the macro, as well as the dictionary components, were licensed from other developers, entities which may no longer exist. If this is the case, disassembling and reconstructing TP is a questionable undertaking. One must not dismiss the lack of continuing developer interest, or availably.
johnt0244

Editable Macros

Post by johnt0244 »

OK, my 2 cents worth. I too WOULD LIKE EDITABLE MACROS. I don't see why someone who can write such a nice text editor can't add editable macros. I use TP a lot but also use UltraEdit. UE DOES HAVE EDITABLE MACROS. It's not VB script but the macros are editable and you can write a macro w/o recording it first.
ineuw

Re: Editable Macros

Post by ineuw »

johnt0244 wrote:OK, my 2 cents worth. I too WOULD LIKE EDITABLE MACROS. I don't see why someone who can write such a nice text editor can't add editable macros. I use TP a lot but also use UltraEdit. UE DOES HAVE EDITABLE MACROS. It's not VB script but the macros are editable and you can write a macro w/o recording it first.
My opinion is enforced by searching the web for the history of the macro and spell check filename extensions. At the risk of disapproval by Helios, I will state that both modules were licensed and embedded in Textpad, and the companies have either discontinued the product, or disappeared.

I also tried other text editing software for similar features, and found most too limited to worth adapting to, when all the TP features are considered. One also gets dismayed by the time lost to searching, testing, and adapting to new software, rather than using them for what they were intended; tools to help productivity.
bmowder

Re: Editable macros

Post by bmowder »

ineuw wrote:For all those who bemoan the lack of editable macros, like myself, this topic has been around forever. I laud the offer of additional payment for development made in an earlier post, and which I also support.

However, after researching the topic, the sad fact may be that regardless of all the noble suggestions and ideas, this may be beyond the control of TP developers. My strong suspicion that the macro, as well as the dictionary components, were licensed from other developers, entities which may no longer exist. If this is the case, disassembling and reconstructing TP is a questionable undertaking. One must not dismiss the lack of continuing developer interest, or availably.
Yes, but if this is the case, why don't the Helios developers developers simply SAY so?

At any rate, I am still willing to pay a license fee for this feature. I am willing to help develop this feature. I am willing to beta (or even alpha) test this feature.

I wonder why the Helios developers have not responded in any way to this request? Even a 'Forget it, it ain't gonna happen' would be better than the thundering silence we have seen so far.

Please, Helios, give us a sign!!
Barney
-= TextPad Lover =-
-= happiness is an editable Macro =-
ineuw

Post by ineuw »

bmowder wrote:Yes, but if this is the case, why don't the Helios developers developers simply SAY so? At any rate, I am still willing to pay a license fee for this feature. I am willing to help develop this feature. I am willing to beta (or even alpha) test this feature. I wonder why the Helios developers have not responded in any way to this request? Even a 'Forget it, it ain't gonna happen' would be better than the thundering silence we have seen so far. Please, Helios, give us a sign!!
Good luck to us all. All your enticements (shared by myself as well), were offered previously without any response. They are no longer interested in the project. It's sad. We don't even know if they are around, and I suspect that their website is running on auto. :-)
bmowder

Post by bmowder »

ineuw wrote: Good luck to us all. All your enticements (shared by myself as well), were offered previously without any response. They are no longer interested in the project. It's sad. We don't even know if they are around, and I suspect that their website is running on auto. :-)
ineuw-

The moderators might have a clue, and they are not so gone as you might think- Here are their last posting dates:

helios Forum: General Thu Feb 04, 2010
bbadmin Forum: WildEdit Mon Feb 08, 2010
Bob Hansen Forum: Regular Expressions Tue Feb 09, 2010

helios, bbadmin, or Bob Hansen, What is going on, please?
Barney
-= TextPad Lover =-
Bob Hansen

Post by Bob Hansen »

I am an end user like yourself. I have no inside information, but I do know that development is still happening. WildEdit version 2.0 was just released.

I have been one of the most frequent users requesting a Macro Editor, and was involved in trying to reverse engineer the data files. All I can say is that Helios does read the forum, they have their priorities set, and do not make them public.

Maximize what you have for now, make enhancement requests, and use other products for the things that you cannot currently do with TextPad and WildEdit. Complaints will not enhance your requests... :wink:
Hope this was helpful.............good luck,
Bob
ineuw

Editable Macros

Post by ineuw »

Thanks. It was nice to hear from someone who is more in the know.
bmowder

Post by bmowder »

Bob Hansen wrote:I am an end user like yourself. I have no inside information, but I do know that development is still happening. WildEdit version 2.0 was just released.

I have been one of the most frequent users requesting a Macro Editor, and was involved in trying to reverse engineer the data files. All I can say is that Helios does read the forum, they have their priorities set, and do not make them public.

Maximize what you have for now, make enhancement requests, and use other products for the things that you cannot currently do with TextPad and WildEdit. Complaints will not enhance your requests... :wink:
Bob- I thank you for your response. I apologize if I stepped on any toes; that was not my intent.

My postings on the state of the 'editable macros' request should be viewed as a wish to make a REALLY GOOD text editor into the BEST text editor, because I have never run into another text editor which came close to TextPad.
Barney
-= TextPad Lover =-
Bob Hansen

Post by Bob Hansen »

I apologize if I stepped on any toes; that was not my intent.
No toes were stepped on. But some users just complain and say they are going to go to another product, giving up all the good things that TextPad does so well.

Thanks for your request for Editable Macros. Who knows? Maybe we will be surprised and get it some day... :roll:
Hope this was helpful.............good luck,
Bob
kengrubb

Post by kengrubb »

I too would like to see Editable Macros, but I know this will be a large undertaking, and large things sometimes turn out bloated.

I've recently ventured off and installed AutoIt and I've begun to explore it's functionality. The price is right and it's turning out to be pretty user friendly.

I've been using TextPad, almost every workday, since 1999 and version 4.x. I can't get along without it. Cost me maybe $20 eleven years ago, and I've not had to pay for an upgrade, even though I would have gladly paid, particularly moving to 5.x

Only once since I began using TextPad was I persuaded to use something else, and that was only because Source Control and the Editor were so tightly connected it was easier to switch to that editor at the UW.

In the beginning, coworkers tried to sway me to CodeWright, but it was pricey and extremely feature rich, bordering on bloat. However, that was an IDE and not a text editor.

Current gig we have UltraEdit, but I find it to be sufficient "different" and inflexible compared to TextPad, at least that I've experienced, and I just cannot find justification to invest the time to learn UE since it does not offer me all that much more. TP still keeps on ticking with me.
(2[Bb]|[^2].|.[^Bb])

That is the question.
bmowder

Editable Macros

Post by bmowder »

kengrubb wrote:I too would like to see Editable Macros, but I know this will be a large undertaking, and large things sometimes turn out bloated.
Kengrubb-

I don't see why it would have to add much bloat. If they could even publish a language reference manual and a file spec, there are any number of people (me among them) who would be willing to develop a standalone editing tool for those twisted enough to want to edit macros.

I continue to not understand their reticence and silence on the subject.
Barney
-= TextPad Lover =-
kengrubb

Post by kengrubb »

bmowder wrote:I don't see why it would have to add much bloat.
I didn't say it would have to, only that big things do sometimes add bloat.

Key things I truly love about TextPad are easy of use and configurability, lack of bloat, and extreme durability.

Years ago, I also used PFE, which was very durable, fairly free of bloat, but ease of use was at times questionable. Still I really liked and used it for certain things.

If editable macros won't add bloat, I'm there for it.

If editable macros leads to an upgrade charge, I'm still there for it.
(2[Bb]|[^2].|.[^Bb])

That is the question.
bmowder

Post by bmowder »

kengrubb wrote: If editable macros leads to an upgrade charge, I'm still there for it.
Kengrubb-

Roger that!

O gods of Helios, hear my prayer! please reveal to your humble worshipers your thoughts/position on this issue! Give us a sign!
Barney
-= TextPad Lover =-
paleolith

Post by paleolith »

And I'll say again what I've said before: I'd be pretty happy if I could just backspace while recording, and continue recording an existing macro (including backspacing into the end of the existing). This would probably do 75% of what I'd want in the way of editing macros. Not totally happy, but it would relieve a lot of the frustration.

Edward