Tool Output in the Document Selector

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, helios, bbadmin, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

reachground

Tool Output in the Document Selector

Post by reachground »

Hello!

I've recently started using Textpad in school. I liked it enough to also install it at home. Unfortunately one of the features I really liked about TextPad dissapeared with the new installation and I can't seem to figure it out on my own.

What happens in school is that the "Tool Output" is behind/in front of the java code depending on what window is chosen from the "Document Selector" (it's docked to the left). That means that when you compile, it checks for errors, and if there's no error it just goes back to the code and I don't have to see the "Tool Output". As it is now the "Tool Output" is just annoying and in the way.

If there is an error it stops at the Tool Output. Then I can either click the document on the "Document Selector" or simply double-click the first row to get back to the code and the correct line.

It seems like such an easy thing to do but now I've wasted 30 minutes looking for the solution and I can only get the "Tool Output" to dock at different places and that is not what I want.

Thanks

//Henrik
ben_josephs

Post by ben_josephs »

This is a change in the new version 5.

The search results and tool output windows are no longer normal client windows; they are now top-level windows. They can be in floating mode, docked mode, or docked, auto-hide mode. Whichever way you use them, they are always on top.

I, too, find this unhelpful and an impediment to efficient work.

The only way I have found to enable these windows to be sent away from the foreground without losing their contents is to have them in docked, auto-hide mode. But this entails (a) permanently losing screen space and (b) having the windows appear and disappear disconcertingly as the mouse moves, in accordance with rules that I don't understand.

I would dearly like to be able to have search results and tool output handled the old way.

Edit: Corrected terminology of the window modes.
Last edited by ben_josephs on Fri Apr 13, 2007 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
reachground

Post by reachground »

Ouch. Thanks for your answer, too bad it was dissapointing. I've been using several programs and that was the best solution I've seen so far. But an "upgrade" destroyed it. Lucky I haven't got used to TextPad that much, it's time to check out another software.
ben_josephs

Post by ben_josephs »

I would recommend sticking with TextPad, and waiting for the problems in the current version to be sorted out.

You can download the previous version (4.7.3) from http://www.textpad.com/download/index.html.
bbadmin
Site Admin

Post by bbadmin »

Have you tried working with the Tool Output window in docked, auto-hide mode (when the drawing pin icon is horizontal)? Then, when you run the Compile Java tool, and there are no errors, the Tool Output pops up briefly, then hides itself.
ben_josephs

Post by ben_josephs »

Yes.

(I've corrected the terminology for these modes in my earlier post.)

As I wrote earlier, there are two things I don't like about this mode: (a) it wastes screen space, and (b) it causes windows to appear and disappear independently of keyboard activity. I have tried very hard to find ways to work efficiently and calmly with these windows in any of their new modes, but, sadly, I've been unsuccessful.

These windows are essentially text windows, and TextPad already has a perfectly satisfactory way of handling text windows. Please may we have our child windows back, please.
reachground

Post by reachground »

**SIGH OF RELIEF**

I downgraded. Now this is the way it should be. Compile, see the errors or come back to the code if it's correct. Something itches though...oh...it's the feeling of having to return the new car and going back to the old that you really really wanted to just store in the garage. No big deal though, it still works as intended.
bbadmin wrote:Have you tried working with the Tool Output window in docked, auto-hide mode (when the drawing pin icon is horizontal)? Then, when you run the Compile Java tool, and there are no errors, the Tool Output pops up briefly, then hides itself.
I gave it a few shots but it didn't feel right. The window popped in and popped out. Somewhat annoying.

Thanks for the advice and help both of you.

//Henrik
Ed

Post by Ed »

1. "Hide" actually deletes, this is misleading.

2. While a tool is running I want to view the early output while the tool completes. Previously I did this by splitting the window and allowing the tool to run in one window and viewing the output in the other window. This was a very useful technique. But with the new tool output window I can't split the window. Is this possible?

3. I also prefer the 4.7.3 command output and search style. Perhaps this is something I have to live with. - Or is there an option to enable the old output style?
ak47wong

Post by ak47wong »

Ed wrote:I also prefer the 4.7.3 command output and search style. Perhaps this is something I have to live with. - Or is there an option to enable the old output style?
There isn't, but I sure wish there was. A number of people have asked for it already.

It's kinda funny. There were very few new features in v5.x and here's one that a lot of people don't even want.

Andrew
oh

Sigh ...

Post by oh »

Same here - with a bittersweet sigh I downgraded. I easily compile several hundred times a session - impossible to fiddle with the new output windows.

Please bring back the old search / output windows.
Erland Sommarskog

Post by Erland Sommarskog »

[quote="bbadmin"]Have you tried working with the Tool Output window in docked, auto-hide mode (when the drawing pin icon is horizontal)? Then, when you run the Compile Java tool, and there are no errors, the Tool Output pops up briefly, then hides itself.[/quote]

No, it's not the same thing. I double-click on an error in the output,
and the cursor is moved to the line in the source file. But focus is still
in Tool Output. This is bad in itself - more often than not I want to fix the compilation error. But when I move the cursor, the Tool Output window goes away, and I may want to review it while I'm in the file.

There are obviously more than one way to skin the cat, and TextPad 4
did only offer one way. TextPad 5 offers more. But unfortunately, what
TextPad 4 had was the best way in my opinion. What is need is an option
"Tool Output/Search results always on top" that I can uncheck.
Erland Sommarskog, Stockholm
kengrubb

Post by kengrubb »

I'm not yet ready to give up on TP5, but I'm not satisifed with the change to Tool Output and Search Results. That these appeared in the Document Selector along with my docs in TP4.x was among the features, IMHO, that made TP a superior product with compared with all the others out there.
(2[Bb]|[^2].|.[^Bb])

That is the question.
ACRobin

Post by ACRobin »

I agree with kengrubb I liked the search results and tool output results as of TP 4.7.3.
It may be that those using the product for a development environment prefer as of TP5+ - why not have a switch so you can swap between the two behaviours.
vidjense

Post by vidjense »

I too miss the old way, it really worked, but, there are some few things I like with the new docking tool output window. Now I can use tools that shows me the class-overview / headings with linenumbers and I can then dobbelclick these to get to the right place in the code... if only dobbelclicking had changed the focus to the document window like it should :-)
ben_josephs

Post by ben_josephs »

vidjense wrote:Now I can use tools that shows me the class-overview / headings with linenumbers and I can then dobbelclick these to get to the right place in the code... if only dobbelclicking had changed the focus to the document window like it should :-)
You could do that with the old-style tool output window.

When you follow a hyperlink, focus does move to the document window. The problem is that the tool output window stays on top, possibly obscuring the document window completely.