cascade doesnt work

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, helios, bbadmin, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

iersel

cascade doesnt work

Post by iersel »

i just installed version 5.0.2 but i can not tile the windows horizontal or vertical! :(
dixonc

Post by dixonc »

Turn off the Document Tabs (under View)

Found the same problem. With Document Tabs switched on the document is maximised only with no ability to cascade, tile, etc.

Not sure if 5.0 was like this or not.
iersel

Post by iersel »

i checked that but for some reason i can not turn off the document tabs...
dixonc

Post by dixonc »

Oh! Pass :(
iersel

Post by iersel »

hi thanks ;(
i can only make the tabs appear stacked or not, and i can set if i want to make them appear on top or on the bottom... i can not make them disappear!! ggrrr so it seems i can not use the tile functions anymore, only editing in maximized views
helios

Post by helios »

In TextPad 5 the Document tabs need to be turned off in order to tile or cascade the windows. This is a feature of the new user interface which cannot be altered.

Try to turn off the Document tabs as follows:

1. Open the View menu and click on Document tabs.

or

2. Configure/Preferences/View, click in the box next to "At top of frame" or "Stacked" to remove the tick. Click Apply/OK.

If that doesn't work, then exit from TextPad and go to:

C:\Documents and Settings\User name\Application Data\Helios\TextPad\5.0

Either delete or rename the file "config.xml" and then restart TextPad and see if you can close the Document tabs.

I hope this helps.
Helios Software Solutions
jorsch

Post by jorsch »

helios wrote:In TextPad 5 the Document tabs need to be turned off in order to tile or cascade the windows. This is a feature of the new user interface which cannot be altered.
Why is that? In my opinion that is a huge step backwards. In v4.7.3 I like to have tabbed document windows, and I often use the Tile Horizontal or Tile Vertical feature. I'm hesitant to upgrade to 5.0.2 because it would be quite a pain to have to turn off the document tabs any time I want to tile the windows.

Can this be changed in the new interface to act like it did in the older version?
iersel

Post by iersel »

thanks helius, your trick worked :D
and i totally agree with jorsch that this new option really sucks! and it is even worse; in the previous version v4.7 you could select 2 or 3 documents in the documents selector and then arrange the windows. that way those few documents where the only ones with were arranged. now it is a nightmare to arrange 2 windows nicely when you have multiple documents open because this doesn't work that nice and neat anymore :(
MudGuard

Post by MudGuard »

iersel wrote:in the previous version v4.7 you could select 2 or 3 documents in the documents selector and then arrange the windows.
This is still possible in 5.0.2 - just switch off document tabs (in the View menu).
iersel

Post by iersel »

it didn't work for me :( but i had problems earlier already with the cascading and document tabs...
i am just reinstalling, maybe it will be work this time

well; i think it is still a step backwards if you have to switch each time between document tabs...
rsire4444

Tabs and tiling

Post by rsire4444 »

I agree with iersel and jorsch.
Often I have several files open and tile horizontally only two (or only a set of two from the entire set) the current functionality wants to tile ALL files that are open. How did the designers come up with this new "feature" as an improvement. I'd like the old tile the hightlighted file names function back.
The tabs would be a nice improvement to have along with the old tiling founctionality.
Can anyone tell me at what point did the tiling stop being useful (behaving as it does in 5.0.20? I'd like to drop back to that lastest with the useful tiling.

thanks
iersel

Post by iersel »

hi rsire4444 and welcome :wink:
it is still possible to tile only 2 or 3 windows while you have several windows open.

first we have to deactivate the document tabs :( !!!
then open the document selector
there we have to select the windows we want to tile
when you have selected the documents you want to tile in the document selector then right click them and select tile horizontal/vertical

but watch out i had once a couple of files open and i pressed print documents(s) instead
later that day i found 259 pages in my printer :)
pitfritz

Post by pitfritz »

I completely agree. Please Helios implement back the possibility to minimize a text window, and to arrange the others.
rsire4444

tiling

Post by rsire4444 »

Thanks for the info iersel! That works great.
Now is there any unobvious way to iconize or minimize an opened file?
Right now I just place other open files on top of it or adjust the file I don't need to see right now to a smaller window size (it was nice in
pre-5.x that I could iconize the file)
textpad-fan

Post by textpad-fan »

helios wrote:In TextPad 5 the Document tabs need to be turned off in order to tile or cascade the windows. This is a feature of the new user interface which cannot be altered.
helios,
I always use the Tile Window for line-by-line files comparing. I use it more that the File Comparing tool because you need to save the files to make it work. This could could be resolved if TextPad saves the file(s) as a temp. Anyway that's another problem.

The new tabs are fantastic but I doubt the limitation you mention is irreversible. You know better than me that anything could be done except to program a feature that collides with the Programming Tool, hardware and/or OS limitations. Is this the case?