TextPAD and unicode

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, helios, bbadmin, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

Alexander654

TextPAD and unicode

Post by Alexander654 »

untill Helios solved the unicode problem I found a freeware editor that works well with unicode.

So right now I work with both editors. When I need unicode, those pages I build in the unicode editor, the others in TextPAD.

It's freeware:

http://www.wolosoft.com/en/superedi/

When you're in need of unicode, hope this will solve your problem untill there is a unicode friendly TextPAD.

Best
rsperberg

Not enough

Post by rsperberg »

This looks like a pretty promising editor. Even uses Textpad syntax files.

I won't be using it, however. As with many other Unicode editors, it can't display zero-width spaces, nor work with Unicode Khmer fonts to combine characters automatically.

For instance, In Khmer the word for "I" is "knyom" or "kñom," which consists of four glyphs. You enter this with your keyboard by typing "x," "j," "J," and "M." The second keystroke indicates that the next letter should not appear beside the first but below it, and the last keystroke inserts a two-part vowel, one part of which appears above the first letter and the other part below the subscripted "ñ" character. In other words, the word is only one letter wide.

Some stacking and combining occurred, but the word appears as four letters wide in the required monospace font.

So the Unicode support there may be better than Textpad's current support, but it fails utterly at displaying what Notepad can manage quite easily.

Roger
Alexander654

Post by Alexander654 »

I use the cyrrilic (russian) in combination with western, and happily this editor works for me. microsoft's Notepad is not really an option because there is no syntax coloring. And with the DHTML I write I need it. So to me this is a good alternitive.

I wish you luck with your search for an unicode editor which works well for you. TextPAD is my favorite, but I need the russian alphabet. I stick to this untill the TextPAD programmers solved this unicode problem.

Best

AZ
rsperberg

Post by rsperberg »

Oh, Notepad is not really a solution. Because it doesn't have an option to display invisible or non-printing characters, there's no way to check the zero-width space between words. But otherwise it manages to handle Unicode properly.

Like you, I would prefer that my solution could incorporate more of TextPad and look forward to the day when I don't need to look elsewhere to handle my texts.

Roger