syntax folding

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, helios, bbadmin, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

sikander

syntax folding

Post by sikander »

Does Textpad have (or are there any plans to include) Syntax Folding ?

Something like: http://notepad-plus.sourceforge.net/com ... erHTML.gif

That would be a really nice feature.
crackwitz

Post by crackwitz »

why would you need that?

if you want to hide code, hide it in abstractions and swap it out into different files.

edit: did you search before posting? http://forum.textpad.com/viewtopic.php?t=3764
rsperberg

Collapsing vs hiding

Post by rsperberg »

Anyone who works with marked-up text (HTML being just one example), especially hierarchical markup, finds it really convenient to be able to collapse any element.

For instance, I often work with book-length manuscripts and so I collapse all the elements at the chapter level, except for the actual chapter I'm working on. For various reasons, with many projects it's far better to have all the text in one file rather than many individual files (and, sure, the reverse is true in other cases).

So I'm in favor of any kind of XML editor-like capabilities like that too. Any time you can focus on just the parts of the file you want to work on, the better IMO.

The forum discussion cited goes off into an Outline capability and also whether there should be display information inserted into the file, and I have to agree with the side saying, No, no, no!

One thing that some XML editors have is the capability to hide everything inside angle brackets, just displaying the element content. (The option to hide attribute-value pairs is there too.) Since I use TextPad for many xml files, this is also something I would use.

But since I don't want to make TextPad into an XML editor instead of some other kind of editor, maybe this sort of thing could be set up in conjunction with the syntax files.

That is, as long as I'm thinking of new features for a new release . . .

Roger Sperberg