Spell Check an entire document without intervention-how to?

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, helios, bbadmin, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

rlporter5

Spell Check an entire document without intervention-how to?

Post by rlporter5 »

First, thanks again for the elegant solutions recommended to my previous question - I am impressed and grateful.

I use a PDF to text conversion program, Able2extract. The quality of the extraction is quite dependent on the quality of the scanned PDF.

When I spell check these documents the spell checker's recommended solutions are 90% or more correct. I would like TP to just go ahead and make the corrections it feels is has a recommendation for on the first pass without my intervention. These are long documents.

Can TP be set up to do two things:

1) make all corrections based on TP's recommended corrections
2) mark with highlighting all corrections after they are made for quick review

Is there a more elegant way to do this?

thanks again!

Bob
Bob Hansen

Post by Bob Hansen »

1. TextPad can be configured to do Auto Correct with Spell Check.

2. Marking those changes is not inherent, but something like this might be helpful:
a. Make a copy of the original file.
b. Do Spell Checking on the original file, with Auto Correct, using the dictionary of choice.
c. Compare corrected file to the copy of the original file. This will help to ID what has been changed. You will be able to ID the line numbers affected, anc compare the original to the modified content.
Hope this was helpful.............good luck,
Bob
rlporter5

Post by rlporter5 »

Bob Hansen wrote:1. TextPad can be configured to do Auto Correct with Spell Check.

2. Marking those ...clipped.
Bob,

OK - just to be clear.

TextPad can do the full document on its own? I can configure it to do this? That would be cool.

Then, once it does this, I have TextPad compare the autocorrected doc to the original and judge the effectiveness of the autocorrections. Can I get TextPad to highlight the differences for me? Sorry to ask such newbie questions. you have been great (we'll, still are :0) )
Bob Hansen

Post by Bob Hansen »

From the Main Menu:

Configure/Preferences
Spelling
Put checkmark in AutoCorrect.
Apply/Ok

But if words are found that are not flagged to AutoCorrect in the dictionary, you will be prompted to respond to them. When responding to the prompt, you can select AutoCorrect and you will not be prompted again, they will be changed.

Adding to dictionary will not flag, will not try to correct.
AutoCorrect will find and Replace with value provided.
Hope this was helpful.............good luck,
Bob
Ed

Post by Ed »

For comparing against the original doc i recommend ExamDiff Pro from www.prestosoft.com and get it to compare characters.
Tech Jock

Help regarding autocorrect

Post by Tech Jock »

Hi, I know that this is an older thread, but I wonder if you guys can help. I'm trying to help a user who is having trouble with autocorrect for both TextPad and Notepad. While I see that TextPad has a spellcheck/autocorrect feature, I'm baffled as to how that would affect Notepad which has neither.

You can see my theories here:
Controlling AutoCorrect Settings

Am I on the right track? TextPad's features wouldn't interfere with NotePad, right? Any ideas you might have are greatly appreciated. I've sent the user to this thread for additional help.[/url]