Vertical Scroll bars in 'Window splits'.

Ideas for new features

Moderators: AmigoJack, helios, bbadmin, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

BryceS

Vertical Scroll bars in 'Window splits'.

Post by BryceS »

Hi,

I would like to suggest Vertical scroll bars be added to 'window splits' for when you have 'side by side' frames.

I have a dual monitor setup - with textpad opened across both monitors I can do a vertical split - one part of file in left monitor, another part in right monitor.
However, they are always the same part and useless because I can not scroll them independently of each other!

With dual monitor setups, and widescreens, becoming more prevalent I would like to see this feature added so as vertical split screens can actually be useful.

(When I only had a single monitor I only ever used a horizontal split to see different parts of the same file - and it worked well as both frames had their own vertical scroll bar - it didn't bother me that there was only one horizontal scroll bar as the code nearly always fitted the viewable window anyway).

Regards,
Bryce Stenberg
It Department
Harness Racing New Zealand Inc.
donjiro

I hope to see vertical scroll bars too

Post by donjiro »

Hi,

I'm wondering if Helios is still working on enhancements to Textpad, seeing that the last update to the tool was 2004.

I agree with BryceS. It is very useful to be able to see different section of the file using vertical window splits. With my PC/WinXP, I also find that when I scroll, both the left and the right panes scroll together. Making it pointless to do a vertical window split.

Perhaps I'm doing something wrong. If there is a way to allow me to do a Window split and scroll the left and right windows independently, it will be really helpful.

I've been using Textpad for 5+ years and love it. However, the inability to do a useful vertical window split drives me to look for other text editors every so often.

donjiro
jeronimo479

I brought this up years ago

Post by jeronimo479 »

And had some idiot argue with us for months that verticle splits was perfect as implemented. I agree with you that there needs to be a way to split the screen vertically then see different lines (rows) in each split. Right now, you can only see different columns, which to me is completely useless.

Wayne
whitehedge

Post by whitehedge »

I agree -- the two sides of a vertical split should be independently scrollable, the feature seems pointless as it stands.
Cloink

How to fudge vertical split + independent scroll

Post by Cloink »

IanOfYork

Post by IanOfYork »

Still keen to have the two views scroll independently -- otherwise why have the option to split?