Lock files using password and encryption

Ideas for new features

Moderators: AmigoJack, helios, bbadmin, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

Would you use file protection using encryption in TextPad if available?

Yes
31%
No
69%

Total votes: 26

ejjick

Lock files using password and encryption

Post by ejjick »

I use TextPad for everything. Coding obviously, but also for business and marketing plans which sometimes contain sensitive information. I am worried about outsiders getting hold of these documents, but haven't found a solution flexible enough to protect them (currently I use WinZip with 128-bit AES, but the documents are obviously unprotected whilst working with them).

The function in OpenOffice, where you simply say "lock document" when saving, is what I would love to see in Textpad.

If I had this, I would also work with password lists (yeah, I know how bad that is) and accounting details in TextPad. It's the one program that is always running and that I have used for nearly 10 years.
MudGuard

Post by MudGuard »

Password protection is a typical feature of Word processors (which store lots of information in the files besides the text).

Textpad is not a word processor, it is a text editor.

Instead of trying to protect the documents, protect your computer against intrusion. Much more effective, as it protects every file, independent of the software that is used to work on the file.
ejjick

Post by ejjick »

I see your point, yet it's time consuming and you can never really make your computer completely safe from intrusion. Encryption is the only thing I trust.

Also, at times I've needed to encrypt files that are to be sent over unsecure channels.

Hehe, from the poll it looks like I'm alone with desiring this feature though. :-)
MudGuard

Post by MudGuard »

Some windows versions support setting access rights for different users - use this setting the access rights as tight as possible.

Some windows versions allow you to encrypt files and folders - try this (I never used it, so I don't know how it works)
Philonious

Post by Philonious »

So a couple of points.

I'm a software engineer and I've used Textpad for a long time. I really like it and I have always wanted a "lock file" option.

I haven't done an exhaustive search but both VI and EMACS support locking a file. VI and EMACS are also text editors and have a huge user base.

Also, while 4 doesn't seem like a lot of people (well 5 now) 25% is a significant interest.

So put another one in the Aye column
Drxenos

Post by Drxenos »

Philonious wrote:So a couple of points.

I'm a software engineer and I've used Textpad for a long time. I really like it and I have always wanted a "lock file" option.

I haven't done an exhaustive search but both VI and EMACS support locking a file. VI and EMACS are also text editors and have a huge user base.

Also, while 4 doesn't seem like a lot of people (well 5 now) 25% is a significant interest.

So put another one in the Aye column
That's not the same kind of "locking." It's not encryption. That's version control (i.e., RCS, cvs, svn, etc.).

DrX
Bob Hansen

Post by Bob Hansen »

25% is a significant interest.
That means only one person!

One of my favorite books is "How to Lie With Statistics" by Darrell Huff. Although it is from 1954, it is still relevant, correct, and mandatory reading for anyone who works with numbers/graphs, etc. Politicians don't want you to know about it! It is now in paperback, Norton Press, $11.00
Hope this was helpful.............good luck,
Bob
hphillips

better connection to winzip encrypt

Post by hphillips »

Hi-
I think ejjick was on to something 6 years ago. I somewhat agree that encryption is at odds with the idea of a plain text editor, but if the encryption could be offloaded to some other application like WinZip then the task could be accomplished. Using context menu, an encrypted file can be opened with TextPad after satisfying the Winzip prompt for password. Where it gets awkward is in the save process which is multistep to overwrite the inital encrypted file. It would be nice if this process was more streamlined so a Save operation just saved the edited file back into the encrypted archive with same password and encrpytion level.

I would welcome something like this as an alternative to the password protected Microsoft Word document I currently use. Maybe there are other open LZW compression with encryption options besides WinZip. Thanks
asapReps

encryption/password for files on USB (external) flash drives

Post by asapReps »

I would also like to see password and/or encryption support on textpad-created and/or edited files. I carry text files created with textpad around with me all the time on USB flash drives. I desire to protect them with a password and/or encryption.
Bob Hansen

Post by Bob Hansen »

How about using an encryption program with command lines and adding as a Tool?
Hope this was helpful.............good luck,
Bob
ben_josephs

Post by ben_josephs »

Or keep an area of your disk encrypted, using software that automatically and invisibly encrypts and decrypts files on the fly. TrueCrypt (http://www.truecrypt.org/) does this, and it's extremely secure and extremely free.