Insert Comment to Modified Line of Code

Ideas for new features

Moderators: AmigoJack, helios, bbadmin, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

Hunter

Insert Comment to Modified Line of Code

Post by Hunter »

I hope that I am not the only person that is struggling with this problem. But I work where we receive a lot of 3rd party code and several developers work on them at varying times.

There is such a feature in XEDIT (VM), whereby all modified lines of code have a kind of pre-assigned indicator appended to them. This helps indicate who has done what and when.

Textpad is my editor of choice and if such a feature could be made available (if at all possible) I am sure we'll have a lot of XEDIT converts.
Tyriel

Post by Tyriel »

Storing even a single bit of information regarding a particular line necessitates changing that line of text, since textpad is a text editor (not a word processor). Everything you look at in Textpad is exactly what's in the raw file, so implementing that would end up changing something in the file - which is not what you want.

I suppose one could put that into the Workspace files, kinda like how bookmarks are saved across sessions, but even then, workspace files are system-specific, containing system-specific file pathname references and other stuff. Which can't be ported between users sharing bunches of code, because a .tws file from one computer will not work on another computer.

I think you need a developer's IDE for this sort of thing, or a CVS system, not a text editor.
~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
-Steve Estes (Tyriel)
AIM: EnderW271
Email: destes[at]ix.netcom.com