explorer hangs

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, helios, bbadmin, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

Ernst Bolt

explorer hangs

Post by Ernst Bolt »

using the context menu from windows explorer, Textpad does'n't start and explorer seems to hang. When Textpad is already runs there is no problem.
Any ideas? TP 4.7.2, Win XP
helios

Post by helios »

It's possible that another application is blocking the DDE messages, so you could try closing all other open applications, and see if that helps
Helios Software Solutions
ings

Post by ings »

I am experiencing this problem too - on both my laptop and my desktop. I'm running Textpad 4.7.3.

The behaviour started within the last week or so, I'm 98% sure it started after I downloaded the most recent set of Microsoft security patches.

In my case, the symptom is that if an IE window is up, and I try to use Explorer to launch Textpad on a file, then then Textpad and IE will freeze for about 30 seconds. Sometimes the entire desktop locks up, sometimes not.

Launching TextPad without a file specified will not result in a hang. Then you can open the (same) file from within Textpad itself a-ok. This is how I'm working around the problem - but it's a pain.

None of my other apps show a similar problem ... so it would seem the most recent security patches have somehow affected TextPad.

Dave Ings
webmasta

Post by webmasta »

I'll tell ya what I noticed after this last set of updates I did yesterday:

Apart from this issue with shellext.dll being replaced.

1/ I had IE set to empty cache on closing the browser... that stopped working and now I cant find back the option nowhere in tools/internet options. :x

2/ I have a separate partition that I dedicated strictly to temp files from the OS and other programs that pack crap on your system .. done by editing the registry .. simply so I can keep all in one place to dump the contents.

The last update put some back they way they were, cookies, history, recent... especially annoying is temporary internet files hiding in document and settings/../local settings.

3/ IE seems very sluggish.

4/ On clicking a link from email or from a web page, the browser opens a bit off to the right with the X button off the main screen... no matter how I pull it back and close the browsr it keeps going back to that position, somehow IE is not remembering its last position.

I am sure more issues will come to light as the day progresses...

/Pete.
ings

Post by ings »

I found an easy fix / workaround to the launch hang problem. I turned off DDE for .txt extensions using Explorer.

Tools -> Folder Options -> File Types -> Select .txt -> Advanced -> Select "open" -> Edit -> Deselect "Use DDE"

In practise, after saving out of this dialog Explorer reenabled DDE, but with one difference: it left the DDE Message field clear, whereas it had been [open("%1")].

Restoring the [open("%1")] message causes the hang problem to reappear.