Disk full message

Known problems and workarounds

Moderators: helios, bbadmin

helios

Disk full message

Post by helios »

With reference to the Disk full message.

This is dependent on the amount contiguous virtual memory allocated on the hard drive. It may be necessary to defragment it. Please see the following URL, for further information. In order to maximize the amount of contiguous virtual memory, you should run the normal disk defragmenter before and after running page defrag for system files.

http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freew ... frag.shtml

You could also try increasing the amount of available virtual memory as follows:

From the Start menu, choose:

1. Settings
2. Control panel
3. System
4. Advanced
5. Performance options
6. Change
7. Make any changes from this dialog box

XP:

1. Settings
2. Control panel
3. System
4. Advanced
5. Performance / Settings
6. Performance Options / Advanced
7. Virtual Memory / Change
Last edited by helios on Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Helios Software Solutions
thoang21

disk full message

Post by thoang21 »

Hi Helios,

I tried your suggestion and it still doesn't work. I am still getting the Disk Full message. I am trying to open a log file 1.2 GB in size. I bumped my virtual memory to 4096, the max. The funny thing is I was able to open this file before. Can you help.

Thanks,
--Tim :?:
eaaml01

I'm also hitting the same problem

Post by eaaml01 »

:( . I am also suffering the same rpoblem. I find that whenever I get a data file that is over 1.2G ijn size, I get a disk full error message when I try to load it to textpad!.
I have carried out a full de-frag, plus I have installed 3G RAM, and completed all the suggestions listed above, but all to no avail.

Can anyone help please :shock:
talleyrand

Post by talleyrand »

No clue if this has anything to do with the issue at hand, but XP might be eating your diskspace behind the scenes. http://www.softwarepatch.com/tips/hiberfil-sys-xp.html
s_reynisson

Post by s_reynisson »

Wow, a new entry in my "the basic XP setup check" file. Well spotted Mr. t.
Then I open up and see
the person fumbling here is me
a different way to be
eaaml01

Post by eaaml01 »

I still can't get textpad to work with file sizes ove 1.2G in size, even doing everything suggested and even ensured I had the most up-to-date version of Text Pad. Can anyone else help ? :?:
fbalarin

Disk Full message

Post by fbalarin »

Try to rename the file to <filename>.txt
I had the same problem and solved just renaming the file with the extension .txt
Felipe Elias Balarin
Bubbatrey2

Disk Full while accessing ...

Post by Bubbatrey2 »

:(
I have 4 GB RAM.
The virtual memory is 7.1GB (paging file).
I have Windows XP Pro with a 3.4GHz Intel Pentium D.

I cannot open any file larger than 500MB.

What else do I need to change in my setup?

Thanks for any help provided.
teleman328

Disk Full Error Message

Post by teleman328 »

This does not have anything to do with virtual memory as you can see from the posts. It is a bug that has been introduced - the older versions were able to read in the large files - I depend on that feature looking at files over 1Gb.

When is this bug going to be fixed??
Asks a paying subscriber?
Or at least an acknowlegement that it is a bug?

I have been using TextPad for over 5 years now - and always very happy until now
nvj1662

Post by nvj1662 »

Can you tell us the last older version that did not exhibit this problem and the first newer version that did ?

Thanks.
nvj1662

Post by nvj1662 »

Can you tell us the last older version that did not exhibit this problem and the first newer version that did ?

Thanks.
teleman328

Post by teleman328 »

I thought it was version 4.6 - but it also has some issues.

Have you guys found out what the problem was ??
nvj1662

Post by nvj1662 »

This topic seems to be being discussed in the General forum.
bbadmin
Site Admin

Post by bbadmin »

The following explanation of how TextPad deals with large files was posted in the General Forum, but I have posted it here as well to avoid any unneccesary searching.

When opening a file, TextPad simply asks the operating system to allocate an amount of virtual memory as big as the file, in one contiguous chunk, so that it can memory map it. If the operating system declines the request, TextPad displays the disk full message. Memory mapping provides significant performance advantages compared with allocating memory on the heap, but can have this disadvantage for very big files. Note that the OS shadows all physical memory allocations in VM, so even if you have more RAM than the size of a file, the allocation will still fail if there is not sufficient contiguous VM.

When the OS is first installed, it will allocate what it thinks is enough VM, knowing that it can allocate more if needed. However, subsequent allocations will not be contiguous with the first one, so the VM becomes fragmented, and the built-in defragmenter does not defragment virtual memory.

Another factor that seems to affect this is bad sectors on the hard drive. These are transparently relocated when the drive is formatted, but the corresponding head movement would make it inefficient to allocate contiguous VM across those sectors. Hence, even with a hard drive that's only used for VM, the VM may be fragmented.

This is a performance trade off that works for the vast majority of files that TextPad is asked to edit, but there will always be exceptions, due to operating system limitations.
Jif

Post by Jif »

I think you'll find this is a bug. I've encountered the problem on two different machines opening the same file. One of the machines was recently rebuilt so its very unlikely that virtual memory problem.

I was able to open the file in UltraEdit on both machines. This being the case I suggest you review your loading strategy.