Not really
1%
No way
1%

Total votes: 85

s_reynisson

Export/Import Textpad settings

Post by s_reynisson »

Textpad is a highly configureable editor.
Many users spend hours, if not more, on just that.
Saving that work should be straightforward.
s_reynisson

Post by s_reynisson »

Maybe a simple external tool in TP's program folder with a shortcut
in the Start menu with no effect on TP's size and performance?
Then I open up and see
the person fumbling here is me
a different way to be
rkrite

Post by rkrite »

Does something like this fit the bill....?

I also found that this (which is a chunk out of something that I downloaded from the add-ons page) works very nicely... put this in a batch file then in a tool to make it easy...

set KEYPATH=HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Helios\TextPad 4
set BUFILENAME=textpad.reg
REG EXPORT "%KEYPATH%" "%BUFILENAME%"

the result is the file textpad.reg which contains all you settings.
s_reynisson

Post by s_reynisson »

Sure, but, there are also the files to think of: macros(*.TPM),
CUSTOM.BND and syntax (*.SYN). Maybe that's all, I just don't know.
Then I open up and see
a different way to be
maniac

Post by maniac »

i moved everything to a folder - textpad system files in one, syn files, macros, dictionaries, clip, etc in another

then just update all the settings in textpad to reflect that and use those folders, then export the REG file into that folder, zip the folder, and bam

next time you install textpad or whatever, just recreate the folder, unpack, and double click the REG file
s_reynisson

Post by s_reynisson »

Thx for your input on this maniac!
I'm not sure about your "i moved everything to a folder", do you mean
that you back up all subdir's in the TP main folder with everything in
them? or are you selecting only the files you have modified?

1. I'd like the zip file to as small as possible, ie. only modified files, it would
nice if I only needed to back up the file(s?) mentioned in TP's help file.
2. The general idea would be to back up all files not included with the TP
install file and those I've modified.
maniac wrote:i moved everything to a folder - textpad system files in one, syn files, macros, dictionaries, clip, etc in another
Then I open up and see
a different way to be
maniac

Post by maniac »

well, when first installed, some stuff is in the Samples directory, some is in the System directory, etc.

What i did was move ALL support files - syntax files, dictionaries, clips, key bindings, and macros to one folder under the TextPad folders, and left all the program files in the System folder. after that, make sure you change the folders TextPad looks in under the configuration, then you can export the registry.

that's jsut the way i do it, but it really works easily when you have to reinstall it or duplicate it, since all of your files can be separate in one folder
Jason Shallcross

Good Suggestion!

Post by Jason Shallcross »

I dont have much to add, just offering my support. I have coped in the past by copying files and exporting registry sections, but it's not exactly ideal!
Tomas Eklund

Post by Tomas Eklund »

Exporting your settings to a Reg-file and then importing them again doesn't always work - especially when you move from one Windows version to another (at least it didn't work for me).

JGSoft EditPad Pro sets the standard by letting you have all configuration settings in an ini-file for easy back-up. Should be easy enough to implement in TextPad too.
gracefool

Post by gracefool »

Tomas Eklund wrote:JGSoft EditPad Pro sets the standard by letting you have all configuration settings in an ini-file for easy back-up. Should be easy enough to implement in TextPad too.
+1 (as in, thumbs up)
robbage

XML for the 21st century

Post by robbage »

Tomas Eklund wrote:JGSoft EditPad Pro sets the standard by letting you have all configuration settings in an ini-file for easy back-up. Should be easy enough to implement in TextPad too.
XML, though, please :)
lashicd

just another vote.

Post by lashicd »

I have Textpad installed on my thumbdrive so I have it with me at all times. I am in school and am using a lot of different compters and it is nice to have the best text editor on any system I happen to be at.

But it is a pain that when I sit down on a new system that I have to reset all the personal settings for colors, tabs, and what not.

I would like to be able to take the program files with me and have my personal settings too.
ourbach

Export/Import TextPad settings

Post by ourbach »

The discussion was interesting and I learned to use the registry to export/import the settings. But my company doesn't alows the usage of regedit. Has anyone an idea how to export the settings in such a case?

I just got a new pc and need to move my settings on it.

Thanks a lott for help
gracefool

Re: XML for the 21st century

Post by gracefool »

robbage wrote:
XML, though, please :)
Sounds like you're jumping on the XML bandwagon for the sake of it. XML is a waste of time and resources if the file isn't going to be used in other applications.
rkrite

Re: XML for the 21st century

Post by rkrite »

gracefool wrote:XML is a waste of time and resources if the file isn't going to be used in other applications.
Wouldn't assuming that a data source (or file) won't be used for another application be more time wasting than initially giving the file flexability from the beginning, if by some chance the file does become a source of data?