Allow File Tab Movement to Rearrange Document Order

Ideas for new features

Moderators: AmigoJack, helios, bbadmin, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

zridling

Allow File Tab Movement to Rearrange Document Order

Post by zridling »

This is hard to describe, but here are three suggestions regarding File Tabs:

(1) A very simple but handy feature would be to allow the file tabs to be moved, that is, their order rearranged using the mouse - click-n-drag;

(2) Create a keyboard shortcut (ALT+Up/Down keys) as a way to navigate among the tabbed files.

(3) Allow the user to simply double-click the file tab to close the file.

I can do #2 with CTRL+F6 and using the Document Selector, and I can do #3 by right-clicking the tab, but these three enhancements would just be for the sake of convenience and fast file-switching.

Thanks.
webmasta

Post by webmasta »

allow the file tabs to be moved, that is, their order rearranged using the mouse - click-n-drag;
I would use it if its there, but wont miss it if its not.
Create a keyboard shortcut (ALT+Up/Down keys) as a way to navigate among the tabbed files.
Would use it, but not depend on it for navigation.
Allow the user to simply double-click the file tab to close the file
I found myself messing up many workspaces with this feature in UE because I am accustomed to clicking my wheel which is set to double clik .. sometimes I dont even know a file or two is closed and when I exit the workspace is rewritten without that file.

What I find more important (tabwise) is making the current tab more noticable, like a different color each for unsaved and current file, even with the 3d effect and the * it still seems to merge and get lost when you have a few tabs going.
zridling

Post by zridling »

Good point, Web. NetCaptor does that, even allowing your to choose the color or shade you like for the unselected tabs. Still, since TextPad has tabs, I'd like to see its functionality expand to include these minor changes.
Frank Fesevur

Re: Allow File Tab Movement to Rearrange Document Order

Post by Frank Fesevur »

zridling wrote:Create a keyboard shortcut (ALT+Up/Down keys) as a way to navigate among the tabbed files.
Add a poll and I would vote for it!

And what about some more context menu items:
- Close All
- Close All Expect (current file)

Frank