Auto-Complete

Ideas for new features

Moderators: AmigoJack, helios, bbadmin, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

How important is it to you, to have this feature implemented into future versions of TextPad?

Important, even if the size/efficiency of TextPad increases/degrades
52%
Somewhat important
23%
I'm okay either way
8%
Somewhat unimportant
11%
Unimportant, even if the size/efficiency of TextPad remains unaffected.
7%

Total votes: 106

jeffy

Auto-Complete

Post by jeffy »

Due to the high interest in this request, this poll has been created.

Please continue your conversation here.

Original thread: http://www.textpad.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3847
briankiser

How will it be implemented?

Post by briankiser »

I still have visions of the current line highligh implemented by dotted lines above and below the line.

How do we want this implemented?

I would prefer it implemented in the way that Microsoft implements Intellisense in their development products. That's pretty slick.
jeffy

Post by jeffy »

I should say that I tried UltimaShell for a few days, and I didn't like it at all. Honestly, it's been a while, so I can't remember many specifics, but it was not worth fifty bucks.

Auto-complete should be based upon (1) Syntax file keywords, (2) Most frequently- and/or recently-used words, (3) A list of pre-created phrases/blocks of text (clips!) pre-set to abbreviations and (4) Everything should be allowed to be specifically-assigned to one or more Document Classes.

Regarding (3), I should be able to set multiple clips to the same abbreviation. When I type the abbreviation, a list of all the clips assigned to it would pop up, listed most-to-least used, top-to-bottom. Also, the *names* of the clips would be displayed, since many of my multiple line clips start with the same line.

Imagine, if you will, Java/JavaScript people, typing "for", and having this list popup:
  • * For: i
    * For: j
    * For: k
    * For with if inside
Simple example, but waaaaaaaay cool, especially if things were set so that they could be specifically assigned to one or more Document Classes.
Dcantor

Disagree

Post by Dcantor »

I guess I wouldn't mind if this were implemented as user-selectable by document class (and possibly by individual document), but I would not want this to be a mandatory feature.

For a mandatory feature, I would vote off the board with "It is important that this feature NOT be implemented."

Sorry, Jeffy. I'm not just indifferent, I'm opposed to it. For a user-selectable feature my vote is "This is unimportant."
Dave C.
Groton, CT
rongoral

Post by rongoral »

This is a very important feature for me. This could be implemented using files similar to syntax files so that core methods for a language could be placed in the file. Then a user could augment it with his own as he sees fit. Perhaps even go so far as to have project/script specific files that can be added as "resources".
kaimiddleton

Post by kaimiddleton »

I think this feature is interesting but in a general text editing utility I think it would require *a lot* of design work to get right, and then it still might be funky. That ultrashell thing just seemed to me to be for someone who couldn't get past basic typing class. If you can't type you shouldn't be doing this kind of work. Sorry, that's a bit harsh, but my point is I've rarely found this kind of thing useful. I heard IntelliJ is very good, and I remember appreciating intellisense in visual studio, but those are very language specific situations. I give this request a C- until it's better thought out.
rongoral

Post by rongoral »

Actually, my typing is quite good. =) My thought here pertains more to method arguments than word completion. It could be that I've replied to the wrong thread.
schnitzi

AutoComplete macro

Post by schnitzi »

Just a reminder that there is an auto-complete macro out there on textpad.com that you can download. It basically just looks for the last occurrence of a word that matches what you're typing, and copies and pastes in remainder of the word. Full proper support with the syntax files and such that doesn't use the copy-paste buffer would be great, but in the meanwhile, you'd be surprised how much typing this macro saves you. (I have it tied to Ctrl-K.)
schepers

Keywords only

Post by schepers »

I've been wanting this feature in TextPad for years. I like rongoral's suggestion that it be tied to syntax files. I have little interest in a general word-completion function that prompts based on previous words (though it could be handy for variable or class/method names
tryl

Post by tryl »

I use IntelliJ for programming Java, and the auto complete is very good.

It basically read your entire source, and only suggests what is legal Java. So if I type
Integer.
it will suggest the static methods in java.lang.Integer.

That kind if auto compleation is a bad idear to implement in a general purpose text editor like TextPad. It is doomed. I've seen it attempted on a $300 editor, which was very slow and did a very poor job.

When I use auto compleate I use it for
  • 1. Remembering syntax
    2. Quickly using long variable and function names.
So in my opinion, it shuld be able to pick up variable and function names - also in other files than the one you'r working on - and of cause use a standard list of keywords.

For picking up names, much of the information can already be found in the syntax heighligting file, info like what is comments.

It would also be nice, it TextPad then remembered e.g. the last couple of selections for each file, and in that way placed the selection on the word you'r most likely to choose.
./simon
jjonesusg

Post by jjonesusg »

Referring to "tryI" comment, I use Delphi for programming, and the native auto complete is very good.

Auto-complete in a syntax file would be great, and selectable ON/OFF. Not so in general literary work, which I also do a lot of.
JJonesUSG
lartninja

Post by lartninja »

Personally, I don't think it is necessary on such an editor.

IMHO Textpad is a text editor, not an IDE.

Interestingly, after polling the developers here, they have said that you learn less about the language if you are continually prompted.

I'd rather see some simpler life-improving enhancements first.
alYsa

Why not to plug in existing autocomple app?

Post by alYsa »

I think it would be very easy to integrate this free-app for autocomplete:
http://www.flashpeak.com/icomp/

Of course there would be a need to make few changes so IntelliComplete would use syntax definition files. But I am sure it would not take much time.

After integrating this - textpad would be wonderful thing.
alYsa
jaylogan

Post by jaylogan »

This is a life-improving enhancement!!!

And exactly the kind of thing a decent text editor would implement.

Why would you not implement auto-complete? It makes the work of the programmer sooo much easier.

The editor I use in replacement of TextPad lets the user decide dynamically to change the type of auto-completion used. He or she can specify that the editor:

1) suggest any words from all open files in the editor.
2) suggest only keywords from the current document type.
3) suggest filename and filepath completions.
4) suggest a list of words specified in a separate file or group of files.

All of this can be changed easily. The words are suggested without stupid Windows GUI widgets getting in the way. And it is FAST!!!

This is a viable tool in any editor that will dramatically improve the life of any programmer. It makes typing less of a hassle.
stella

mmm

Post by stella »

please don't bugger about with a beautiful product!
If you must then it must be an add on or built in on a per document class option
All I need you to do is stop me phone ringing and stop the vultures outside my office to stop circling - now that would be cool :shock: :shock:

ps if you under 13 then I apologise for the naugty word
t-i-e