named bookmarks

Ideas for new features

Moderators: AmigoJack, helios, bbadmin, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

mike777

named bookmarks

Post by mike777 »

A suggestion: Named bookmarks

o You could set a "bookmark" that would have a name that would show up under the document in the document selector
MYDocument
+ my bookmark 1
+ my bookmark 2

o It would have a special bookmark icon in front of it
o It would be permanent, until you remove it
o You could have as many as you like
o Clicking on a bookmark takes you to that document, and to that line, and to the cursor position of the bookmark in that line

This would be a fantastic addition to the program.

Mike
kinghitz

Re: Bookmarks

Post by kinghitz »

Aside from the "me too" I agree. I have been a long time user of TextPad and it is my editor of choice by a long way.

I think that TextPad needs a bookmark facility. I constantly use it to look at all sorts of files which means that the files that I really want to work with are constantly being flushed from the Most Recently Used list. Would love to see in an upcoming version either in the left hand tabs or in the menu with a keyboard shortcut.
MudGuard

Post by MudGuard »

kinghitz, have you tried the workspace feature?
kinghitz

Post by kinghitz »

Hmmm ... altho' I haven't used Workspaces it certainly near to what I would like to see. Perhaps something that can be selected from the menu. For example if you were able to start TextPad go to the menu and select a named bookmark that edits for example "C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts" or select it from something in the left hand side of the screen. However happy to work with Workspaces :)
Tyriel

Post by Tyriel »

I think there are a number of enhancements that could go into bookmarks over and above what workspaces provide. For example, being able to view a list of your bookmarks in a particular document (or better yet, across a bunch of documents all within a workspace) would be a really good feature, as would being able to define names for those bookmarks. Y'know, display it in some sort of hierarchical tree. Adobe Acrobat does that, and MS Word has features like that (their Table of Contents builder being just the most obvious example). It would be very useful to coders just to be able to quickly jump around between their bookmarks by using a list of them (instead of only a hotkey to go to the next one)

I'm also fairly certain that even when you save a workspace, the bookmarks in the files inside that workspace are not saved and loaded the next time you open it.
~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
-Steve Estes (Tyriel)
AIM: EnderW271
Email: destes[at]ix.netcom.com