Tool Parameter Macros

Ideas for new features

Moderators: AmigoJack, helios, bbadmin, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

rpb

Tool Parameter Macros

Post by rpb »

If a tool uses any of the macros $File, $FileName, $UNIXFile or $DOSFile, the active document is saved prior to running the tool.

It would be nice to have macros containing the same information but without the save action. Then I could, for example, create a tool to take a back-up of a document that I have changed but in its original state. I could also create a tool that opens explorer with the original file selected (and still in its original state).
Ron Smith

Tools Without Save ... Ditto

Post by Ron Smith »

I have a simple stupid script that accepts a filename as a parameter and makes a copy of that file with a current timestamp. I actually have it setup in my Send To 'folder'. So, whenever I'm about to make a (potentially stupid) change in TextPad, I wander over to Explorer, (re) find my file, 'stamp' it, wander back to TextPad, and save my changes. Today (after using TextPad for six years) I tried Tools to launch my stamp script and WONDERFUL! Until I discovered that my changes got saved before my file got stamped. I guess what I want is an Tool Properties option like 'Do NOT save Current file'.
mczajka

Re: Tools Without Save ... Ditto

Post by mczajka »

Ron Smith wrote:I have a simple stupid script that accepts a filename as a parameter and makes a copy of that file with a current timestamp. I actually have it setup in my Send To 'folder'. So, whenever I'm about to make a (potentially stupid) change in TextPad, I wander over to Explorer, (re) find my file, 'stamp' it, wander back to TextPad, and save my changes. Today (after using TextPad for six years) I tried Tools to launch my stamp script and WONDERFUL! Until I discovered that my changes got saved before my file got stamped. I guess what I want is an Tool Properties option like 'Do NOT save Current file'.
Ron, is this a DOS script, or a program you developed? I'm looking for a way to save a file twice in 2 different locations, but not a backup; a duplicate of the last save.