If you must
17%
No sensible human being would want that
6%

Total votes: 18

Jens Hollmann

An output window tab for each user defined tool

Post by Jens Hollmann »

When you have several user defined tools and start e.g. the compile tool, you get the oputput in the output window. So far so hoopy.

Let's say you jump through every warning of the compiler output and while you are on a particular occurence in some file you call another user defined tool that, say, greps for all references of a variable or something.

And voila! Your compiler output is gone, replaced by the output of the other user defined tool. And in this example you have to start a make all to get a new compiler output with the warnings!

So what I would suggest is, that the output window gets several tabs for each user defined tool. This would look like the Microsoft DevStudio output window.

You start one tool and the output window places the output in tab one, you start the second tool and its output is put in tab number two (with the name of the tool perhaps).

Important for me would be that you can still navigate through all the output with the keyboard alone!

If you start a tool again the last output is of course overwritten but I think noone would argue with that.
rpb

Post by rpb »

You can get near this by having multiple instances of TextPad open. Run each tool in a different instance.
Jens Hollmann

Post by Jens Hollmann »

Good idea but not really practicable.

When you jump to a warning of the compiler output to see what happens there you stay of course in the same TextPad instance. Then you would have to open a new instance with this file to run additional tools.

I would end up with so many TextPads I would have difficulties finding the original one :-)