Auto-complete

Ideas for new features

Moderators: AmigoJack, helios, bbadmin, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

schnitzi

Auto-complete

Post by schnitzi »

A command to auto-complete a word, based on the previous occurrence of the word you're in the middle of typing.

For instance, if you're editing a Java class called MyJavaClass, and you're in the middle of the file, you can just type "myj[autocomplete]" and the text you're typing become "MyJavaClass", because it matched the previous occurrence up where you typed "class MyJavaClass {".

Basing the auto-completion on previous text within the file is a simpler way to do it than trying to build up a list of tags like the way many IDEs do it. Tag recognition would be beyond the scope of a general-purpose text editor like TextPad.

[By the way, I have created a macro that does this, which you can download from the site ("Auto Complete"). I have it tied to Ctrl-K, and it is insanely useful. However, it does kill what's in your clip buffer, and acts oddly when there's no previous occurrence. So a TextPad internal command to do this without these limitations would be peachy.]
trids

Post by trids »

Please provide a voting sheet - I'd like to agree enthusiastically.

However there is something to be said for tag-recognition: it could be accomplished quite easily with syntax files, and also offers the feature of defining abbreviations to identify keywords (rather than basing the guess on the first few characters of the word)

Perhaps a combination of both "previous text" and "listed tags" .. ?
CJ

Post by CJ »

I second trids' request for a poll. Please put one up so that we may vote on this issue.

Auto-complete is one feature that would make Textpad such indispensible tool for me. I assume it could draw upon the keywords in the syntax file.

Here is a capture showing Macromedia Dreamweaver's auto-complete functionality.
Nial

Post by Nial »

> Auto-complete is one feature that would make Textpad such
> indispensible tool for me.

A _more_ indespensible tool you mean :-)

> I assume it could draw upon the keywords in the syntax file.

I wouldn't agree with just using keywords.

As part of my efforts to make my VHDL understandable I try to
make signal names as descriptive as possible. This can lead to
a number of long signal names, especially if you've a number of
instances of the sme component with a prefix before signal names
to differentiate them.

Autocomplete can be very useful in this instance to cut down the
amount of typing, but it's got to search in file (backwards will do)
for signals with the same root.

It's also got to be easy to invoke, double Esc or something similar.

Nial.
Jens Hollmann

Post by Jens Hollmann »

Yes Auto-Complete is a nice feature. I myself wrote a rather long enhancement request to Helios directly (before this forum came to life).

But as I now use another tool for this (UltimaShell) I lost interest in seeing this implemented in TextPad.

The advantage in an external tool is that you can use this outside TextPad too (Like in Word or OpenOffice to write documentation). I wouldn't want to miss this handy little pop-up window wherever I type ;-)

Jens
CJ

Post by CJ »

Hello Jens.

Well, since reading your response I've downloaded and tried UltimaShell. Wow! What a capable little program! I had no idea it would be that easy to add AutoComplete functionality to Textpad or any other program.

I see what you mean about losing interest in seeing TextPad implement AutoComplete. It doesn't actually matter now if they do or not.

Thanks for that.
MudGuard

Post by MudGuard »

Started testing it. Seems to be very handy.

For convenience of others: you can download Ultimashell from here
SecondToughest

Post by SecondToughest »

Actually that is an older version. You can get the newest version direct from the company that develops it here: FlashPeak Software.

ST
Billi

Post by Billi »

WOW !!
I tested these little tool - imported my Language (German) and is is great...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Billi
zzappster

Post by zzappster »

This is big one for all developers. As a user of Codewright there are a few things it has that keep me from being a full-time user of Textpad.

If this gets implemented I'd like to see the Codewright method used. It can display a list of matches like most editors or, more importantly, have an option that allows cycling through the list of matches by repeat presses of the auto-complete key. When the auto-complete key is a single key rather than a key combo, it is a great frustation saver. No more hitting the wrong keys because of having to press different keys (ALT+Space, Up/Down Arrow) to find the correct replacement.

Another thing they do is prefer the current file for replacement, followed by open files, followed by open project, followed by defined libraries.
Angantyr

Post by Angantyr »

I tried the FlashPeak software for auto-completion. Nice...except that it comes with a $50 price tag. That's significantly more than Textpad itself.

I would rather see Texpad implement basic, native auto-completion instead.
briankiser

poll?

Post by briankiser »

So where's the poll?
JustinHoMi

Post by JustinHoMi »

Yeah... I'd really like to see autocomplete in TP.
jeffy

Re: poll?

Post by jeffy »

briankiser wrote:So where's the poll?
Ta-da: http://www.textpad.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4291

Please vote and continue your conversation there.