Question about Moving to the Start of a Line

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, helios, bbadmin, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

DPierce

Question about Moving to the Start of a Line

Post by DPierce »

Hello. Long time TextPad user; first time poster.

For what it's worth, the context of my question is in editing software source code and miscellaneous other "outline" sorts of things, heavy with indents created by tabs and spaces.

If I want to move the cursor to the "beginning" of a line, I'm used to hitting "HOME". By "beginning" (in this sense), I mean where the substantial characters start, after all the initial whitespace (spaces, tabs, indent sorts of things), rather than the far left side of the editor window itself.

On an old workstation, where TextPad 5.x is installed, this behavior works. On a new system I've just installed with the latest TextPad version, "HOME" takes me to the left side of the window.

I've tried going into Preferences / Keyboard, and assigning "HOME" alternatively to LineLeft and LineStart, but it doesn't seem to make any difference in behavior.

I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong, if I've missed a configuration element, or if this is just the way it is now. Thanks for any help!
AmigoJack

Re: Question about Moving to the Start of a Line

Post by AmigoJack »

DPierce wrote:I've tried going into Preferences / Keyboard, and assigning "HOME" alternatively to LineLeft and LineStart
(for others: in the Category "Cursor")

For me the command "LineStart" is assigned with the Home key and it works as intended: the text cursor is moved to the first non-space of the line, and repeatedly pressing the key toggles between that and position 1 of the line. Just as experienced with versions 4 and 5 from years ago.

I have never configured this manually, tho. Select the Category "All", then click the "List" button. Close the Preferences dialog and search the list for the Home key - maybe it's accidentally assigned more than once.
ak47wong

Post by ak47wong »

For the behaviour you're describing, you want to set the Home key as the shortcut for the LineStart command.

Make sure in the Keyboard preferences window that you click the Assign button before exiting. If you don't press Assign, the shortcut is not saved.
DPierce

Post by DPierce »

Thanks for the replies everyone. "HOME" is without question assigned to LineStart, and I'm getting the "wrong" behavior. TextPad 8.13.0 on Windows 10 Pro.

I suppose I should report it to support? Thanks again.