Show Tab close buttons permanently

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, helios, bbadmin, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

MudGuard

Show Tab close buttons permanently

Post by MudGuard »

Do I not see the option to permanently display the close button on the document tabs?

Currently, the close button is only visible on the current document.

If I want to close one of the other documents, I first need to click the tab, and then only can click the close button (and with luck, the tab I want to close has just moved to the other end of the tab bar - as the appearing/disappearing close button influences tab width and therefore in which row a tab is displayed ...)
AmigoJack

Re: Show Tab close buttons permanently

Post by AmigoJack »

permanently display the close button on the document tabs
This doesn't exist because there's never anything per tab besides its caption. Just like in countless other software (except web browsers, which started this). Don't display tabs, then you have that button per document/window.

If I want to close one of the other documents, I first need to click the tab, and then only can click the close button (and with luck, the tab I want to close has just moved to the other end of the tab bar - as the appearing/disappearing close button influences tab width and therefore in which row a tab is displayed ...)
Just stop using the mouse for EVERYTHING. Press CTRL+F4 to close the current document and CTRL+TAB to switch thru documents - that should be much faster than precisely pointing the mouse cursor again and again anew. I wonder if people would enter text by mouse if they could - just to completely forget what a keyboard is capable of...
MudGuard

Post by MudGuard »

for you it might be easier to type multiple times Ctrl-Tab and then Ctrl-F4, for me it is easier to use the mouse and click directly on the tab I want to close ...

Other editors (e.g. Notepad++ or IntelliJ)permanently show the close button on the tab ...

Not using tabs doesn't help - as not all document window titlebars are permanently visible ...
If the document windows are maximized, close button only for the active window ...
This doesn't exist because there's never anything per tab besides its caption.
this is not true - if the tab is active, there is a close button besides the caption - so why not show it permantently ...