Stay on top of other windows

Ideas for new features

Moderators: AmigoJack, helios, bbadmin, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

PhilKE3FL

Post by PhilKE3FL »

Configure/View/ [x] Stay on top of other windows

What is the key combo that turns this on/off? I am ALWAYS accidentally turning it on while I'm typing. This should be a two-hand combination not one I can trip over almost every time I type, granted I have fat fingers but this is VERY annoying!

There has to be a key-combination that turns it on since I do NOT EVER want it on and yet it turns on while I'm typing!
Phil KE3FL
IanOfYork

Post by IanOfYork »

There is no preset key combination as far as I know.
However, you may have a key set - find it by:
* Menu Configure -> Preferences
* Keyboard option
* Select "All" in the Categories list
* Hit [List] (creates a full list of all of the current key mappings)
* Search for "StayOnTop"[/list]
IanOfYork

Post by IanOfYork »

It is probably a Windows thing instead.
Try ALT+space, T
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

IanOfYork wrote:It is probably a Windows thing instead
Halfway: ALT+SPACE opens the system menu of any window, not just TextPad's. It can be modified by each program, but thankfully this is rarely the case.

Only TextPad has the additional menu item "Stay on Top" without having a shortcut associated. Other programs may have others (i.e. browser Vivaldi has "Task manager").

You'll also find Preferences > View > Stay on top of other windows. I wonder how PhilKE3FL is able to "accidentally" turn it on and off, because by default it should have no shortcut. And pressing first ALT+SPACE and then T would be prone to also type any other letter (S for size, C for close...)
PhilKE3FL

How to undo stay on top

Post by PhilKE3FL »

Someone else sent me this & it works with my version, 7.6.2 - 64 bit, of Textpad:

TextPad Always Stay On Top, DO it / undo it: Alt+Space+T (Alt Space T)
Phil KE3FL
AmigoJack

Re: How to undo stay on top

Post by AmigoJack »

PhilKE3FL wrote:Alt+Space+T (Alt Space T)
Thats mutually exclusive: + means pressing all 3 at once, space means pressing all 3 in sequence. Neither works, because first pressing ALT+SPACE and after that pressing T is no shortcut.

If it would be a shortcut then pressing ALT+T+SPACE should do the same thing (which is not the case). Examples:
  • CTRL+ALT+DEL = shortcut, because I can also press ALT+CTRL+DEL
  • CTRL+SHIFT+ESC = shortcut, because I can also press SHIFT+CTRL+ESC
  • E+R = sequence, because the order is important for whatever is expected
PhilKE3FL

It works for me

Post by PhilKE3FL »

All I can say is that, it works for me. I press them like this:

Alt & hold it down, Space and hold it down as well, so ALT & SPACE are being held down and then I press "T" and then Textpad is either on top or not, depending on what it was before I pressed all three at the same time.

You can say it "doesn't work" all you want, but it works for me so I'll continue to use it.

This ONLY works when you are active in Textpad, this is NOT a set of keys that WINDOWS understands, only Textpad understands it. This is a feature of Textpad, you can go through the menus to do the same thing but this is much quicker.

Menu method: Configure / Preferences / View / "stay on top of other windows" check or uncheck the box to do what you want.

Now you can see why I memorized ATL + SPACE + T as a much quicker way to undo the program staying on top of other programs. Some how, I was always typing too fast (or too clumsy) and getting it to stay on top when I didn't want that. Then I had to go through the menus to undo what I'd just done with some kind of key combination accidentally. Now, all I have to do is click three keys at the same time & it's back the way I want it.
Phil KE3FL
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

You ignore the fact (and probably never tried it either) that you achieve the same by pressing and holding ALT, then pressing SPACE, then releasing both keys. Then pressing and releasing T (with no other key being pressed).

It works for you, sure. But just by coincidence - the outcome is as wanted, the assumption wrong. It is not a shortcut because you open the system menu (ALT+SPACE) and then type the accelerator key (every menu item has one underlined letter, so it can be accessed by just pressing that key - as for TextPad's menu item it happens to be T).
PhilKE3FL

Thank-you AmigoJack

Post by PhilKE3FL »

Thank-you AmigoJack,

Now I understand what is happening. The person who originally gave me the keys to press did not explain it. Your explanation makes it all clear and it make sense now.

Thanks again!
Phil KE3FL