Main window size reduced on closing

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, helios, bbadmin, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

melvers

Main window size reduced on closing

Post by melvers »

I noticed that TextPad 7.6.2 had a fix for the following problem "The height of the main window was reduced on restart, if the bottom was close to the taskbar". I had 7.6.1 and was experiencing this so I installed 7.6.2. However, I still have the same problem (although it is not exactly the same as the release note item). I have Windows 7 Enterprise. I have a Dell P2210f monitor at 1680x1050 resolution. What I see is that if the bottom of the main TextPad window is off the screen when TextPad is closed. When I open up the next time the window height has been reduced enough to bring the bottom of the window back onto the screen. What I expected was either the window open exactly like it was before (with the bottom off the screen) or the entire window was moved up to bring the bottom onto the screen. Reducing the window size is not a desired solution for this. I noticed the same thing happens if the main window is off the screen on the right when closed (the next time TextPad is opened if is narrower). However, if the main window is off the screen on the top or left, then it is just moved and not resized.
helios

Post by helios »

There’s something weird going on when TextPad’s main window is stretched down to the taskbar, until you get visual feedback that it can’t go any further. At that point, the top snaps up to the top of the desktop, so it’s kind of like maximising the window, but only vertically. If you then exit and restart TextPad, it starts up a different size. The same thing happens with Notepad, and with earlier versions of TextPad.

The main window size is saved in ConfigState.xml, and it seems to be written and read correctly, so Windows has a mind of its own about this.

For the time being, I suggest you try sizing TextPad so it doesn’t quite touch the top and bottom of the screen.
Helios Software Solutions