Editing Macros

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, helios, bbadmin, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

eaaml01

Editing Macros

Post by eaaml01 »

Hi, I have created a couple of macros using the Record function, which is fine, but I now need to edit it to add, delete and/or amend some of the criteria I have set. However, I can't seem to find any functions to allow me to edit an existing macro. Please can you advise. I don't want to have to re-record the process because that then defeats the object of macros.
ak47wong

Post by ak47wong »

Search these forums for "editable macros" and you'll see hundreds of posts about this topic. Short answer: TextPad does not have editable macros and, I'm willing to bet, never will.
Ryck

Post by Ryck »

I agree with ak47. I've been visiting this forum almost every year for ten years or so to remind the developer - if he is looking - to add editable macros to TextPad. And I drop in every once in a while if anything has happened regarding this.

Ten years!

I'm familiar with TextPad for most of the browsing and editing that I do. I keep keyboard macros as simple and elemental as possible.

When I want something more involved than keyboard macro-ing I've learned to use UltraEdit. In addition to keyboard macro-ing - which is editable - UltraEdit also has a built-in scripting language based on JavaScript. So if you know JavaScript you can manipulate many kinds of text editor behaviors and editings as simple or as complex as you'd dare.

It's good to know and have a couple of tools anyway for most of the text editing things one does. So I'm passing along my tip borne from a particular longstanding shortcoming of TextPad. You may have to find your own macro editing text editor for editable fancy stuff for your special cases too. Perhaps UltraEdit will suit you too.