6.22 Context Menu Windows 7

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, helios, bbadmin, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

mtko

6.22 Context Menu Windows 7

Post by mtko »

I can't seem to add Textpad to my context menu (Windows 7 x64).

When I go to Configure -> Preferences -> and check Context Menu box, then hit OK, the setting just doesn't save. Which is weird because the Sent To Menu one works fine.

Anyone have any ideas?
Greystoke

Post by Greystoke »

Have the same problem here on Windows 8 x64
ACRobin

Post by ACRobin »

I had a similar problem and found the solution on the forum, details(hope helps):
I had a play trying to get one instance of TP opening when selecting multiple files in explorer and still no luck,

Fixed my problem with the context menu entry not working by getting the keys below loaded as missing when I installed 6.2.2 :

Code:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\CLSID\{ABECE8A0-FF84-4efb-82AE-9B3181CE097D}\InProcServer32

Code:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\TextPad

(Default) should be set to "{ABECE8A0-FF84-4efb-82AE-9B3181CE097D}"

This leads me think that something else is not been set-up automatically to allow the "multiple instances" configuration to work.

After The registry fix, I changed the "Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Default Programs\Set Associations" so that TextPad was associated with all documents I wanted it to be including ".txt"(oven though option selected within textpad).

Everything working now, no multiple instances.

Something must have blocked up these settings happening on installation of TP and setting preference options - I loaded as Administrator and have loaded TP many times so not sure why the problem with this installation.
holodyn

Same Problem - Cannot add to Context Menu

Post by holodyn »

Same problem on Windows 8 x64
Would like this fixed without having to meddle with the registry.
marioja

Solution

Post by marioja »

I do not know all circumstances of this problem but I found out that the reason the Context menu option would not be remembered was because the following registry key was not found (this was a fresh install of windows 7 and with little activity):

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\CLSID

If I create the CLSID key, the context menu will be saved and remembered. Better yet, right mouse click on a file in Explorer will display TextPad as a choice in the context menu!

Yooo hooo
marioja

Problem reported

Post by marioja »

I reported the problem AND the solution to TextPad so that it may be fixed in a future release. So let me understand, this is why I paid for TextPad??? :D :D :lol: :lol:
pjegan

thanks!

Post by pjegan »

thank you marioja -- your solution worked for me perfectly on W7.