Courier font - 6.1 render is darker than under 4.7

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, helios, bbadmin, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

jaz

Courier font - 6.1 render is darker than under 4.7

Post by jaz »

Under windows7, TP 6.1 is rendering the plain Courier normal font heavier than 4.7 did (for example the strokes were lighter and the comma is very light in the 4.x - I've even reinstalled 4.7 to prove it to myself). Is there a way to get 6.x to render courier the same as it was in 4.7?

(I'm very sensitive to fonts, and I've been using TextPad for over 10 years... I upgraded today and got bit by the workspace file format update, so going back is inconvenient)

Thanks
Last edited by jaz on Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SteveH

Re: Courier font - 6.1 render is darker than under 4.7

Post by SteveH »

jaz wrote:I'm very sensitive to fonts
And you use Courier? :)
Running TextPad 5.4 on Windows XP SP3 and on OS X 10.7 under VMWare or Crossover.
ak47wong

Post by ak47wong »

I use Courier New myself. Does that make me sensitive and new-age? :)
jaz

Post by jaz »

I know -- sounds silly even to myself. But seriously, the older TP rendered Courier (not Courier New) in a very aesthetic way, and my being an old dog and having a code base that's many hundreds of files, and I just find that I recognize all the parts of the code better by the TP 4.x rendering of Courier normal. The code just kind of all blends together with the darker rendering. Yeah, very nit-picky, I am.

Well, I hoped this very slight difference might be community-known thing. To me it was worth asking, because I'm going to go back to TP 4.7, for now anyway. I suppose when I feel up to learning new tricks I'll try DejaVu (which I use in xterm & rxvt ;)

Thanks!
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

Getting more serious...

I suppose it may be possible that this version of TextPad renders text differently and uses Windows' clear type (anti-aliasing) more than the old version. Heavier text might suggest this to me.

Does TextPad 6.x look similar to Notepad's rendering of Courier? You could maybe try tuning your clear type settings - I think there's a Powertool for this.

If you have to change fonts, Anonymous Pro or Consolas might suit you better than Déjà vu. I reckon Anonymous Pro (which is free) is the better match as it has serifs and a lighter weight.

That screenshot is from MacBook and font rendering between OS X and Windows is different so I would just use that for a general impression of the font.

Hope this helps.
Running TextPad 5.4 on Windows XP SP3 and on OS X 10.7 under VMWare or Crossover.
ben_josephs

Post by ben_josephs »

Lucida Console is the one I use.