TextPad 6: Cannot jump to item under cursor

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, helios, bbadmin, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

Kiwi6469

TextPad 6: Cannot jump to item under cursor

Post by Kiwi6469 »

After upgrading to TextPad 6.1 using the same tool configuration as I've used for years in TextPad for working with Java, I am now unable to jump directly from a compiler error to the source file which triggered it.

Note: I changed no configuration from working to not-working... I only upgraded from 5.4 to 6.1.

The configured regular expression for the tool output is (as it's always been):

^\(\(\(.[^:]\)\|\([A-Za-z]:\)\)[^:]+\):\([0-9]+\):

I have plugged that regex into the find box (using non-POSIX syntax) and it finds the expected error file & line number just fine.

I have tried disabling POSIX syntax option I've also tried plugging in the equivalent POSIX expression, both with no success. And I have confirmed that the expression finds the line each time and restarted TextPad each time.

This is a MAJOR nuisance; could it please be fixed.
Odilon Redo

Cannot jump to item under cursor

Post by Odilon Redo »

I have the same problem with this regular expression to match JSLint output. It was working for years but has stopped working with a "Cannot jump to item under cursor" message

^\([^:]+\):\([0-9]+\) (\([0-9]+\))

It is highly irritating.
OnlyTextPad

The same bug experienced ...

Post by OnlyTextPad »

Yep this is eihter major bug or the handlling of POSIX regexes has been changed radically. For example my perl check syntax stopped working after the upgrade from 5.4 to Textpad 6.1.3

POSIX regexes ...
Regex:
^(.)+at (.+) line ([0-9]+)[.,]
ben_josephs

Post by ben_josephs »

Works here, on such error messages as
Some error at C:\some\directory\some.file.pl line 42.

either with your
Regular expression to match output: ^(.)+at (.+) line ([0-9]+)[.,]

Registers:
File: 2
Line: 3
or the more sensible
Regular expression to match output: ^.+at (.+) line ([0-9]+)[.,]

Registers:
File: 1
Line: 2
OnlyTextPad

The problem is with the registry and DDE

Post by OnlyTextPad »

I suspect the problem is related to the installer and DDE ( In TP 5 was this "C:\Program Files (x86)\TextPad 5\system\DDEOPN32.EXE", which is not anymore part of the system folder ... e.g. the opening of the files has been added to the TextPad.exe binary ...) ... Quick search trough the windows registry with the search textpad found a log of shell ext and Textpad -s %1 like entries - a sign that the installer of the new Textpad 6 does not handle properly the de-installation of the old version ... and the file open call still is moved to the old DDEOPN.exe ...

The installer "knew" to transfer most of my TP 5 settings ... and I did make a backup of the new xml settings ... So I guess the answer for me would be deinstall TP 6. Clean all entries pointing to TextPad. Reboot to be sure.
Install the TP 6. Copy the already backed up TP 6 settings ...