Why Textpad will never have editable macros?

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, helios, bbadmin, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

Ryck

Why Textpad will never have editable macros?

Post by Ryck »

I'm curious for the definitive answer as to why Textpad is not given the ability to edit its own macros nor expose its macro scripting language?

Users have been asking for these abilities for MANY years.

A definitive reason is in order on this 20th anniversary year!

Oh, by the way, happy 20th anniversary.
ben_josephs

Post by ben_josephs »

Macros and scripts are quite different things. A macro is a fixed sequence of editor actions that may be performed by the user through the GUI. A script is a program using standard programming language constructs (variables, conditions, loops, etc.) that manipulates the editor by calling functions provided by a programming interface.

Scripts are far more powerful and useful than macros.

TextPad supports macros, but does not supply a means to edit them. It does not support scripts.

Please don't shout.
ineuw

Re: Why Textpad will never have editable macros?

Post by ineuw »

Ryck wrote:I'm curious for the definitive answer as to why Textpad is not given the ability to edit its own macros nor expose its macro scripting language?

Users have been asking for these abilities for MANY years.

A definitive reason is in order on this 20th anniversary year!

Oh, by the way, happy 20th anniversary.
It's like flogging a dead horse. Just forget it and use Autohotkey_L. It's easy and works very well in Textpad.
TextPad 8.16.0 64bit in English and TextPad 9.1.0 64bit in French, on two separate Windows installations
kengrubb

Post by kengrubb »

I seem to recall a post from the past, perhaps not by Helios himself, but from someone at Helios.

Simply put, it would be a colossal change to the codebase in order to make it happen.

There have been speculative observations by users of TP that TP6 was a major rewrite of the codebase intended to deliver new future functionality.
(2[Bb]|[^2].|.[^Bb])

That is the question.