editable macros and Mac version

Ideas for new features

Moderators: AmigoJack, helios, bbadmin, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

asamson

editable macros and Mac version

Post by asamson »

I am sure there has been ample posting requesting editing capability for macros, so I'll just add my voice to it. For many people that is a show stopper as far as purchasing the product.
Also, a Mac version would be more than welcome.
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

I'm not actually sure a Mac version of TextPad would translate well to the Mac platform. I'm certain it could be done but it would require a significant amount of re-engineering and I'm not sure Helios are operating in that space.

Mac text editors tend to adopt a very different aesthetic in my experience and that means that (a) simply porting the application is unlikely to be successful and (b) substantial changes would be required.

Looking at the reviews for a competing text editor that has produced a Mac version it's pretty clear that it's not well regarded.

The other factor is, with applications such as BBEdit available at much lower prices than previously (via the App Store) this is a very competitive market.
Last edited by SteveH on Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Running TextPad 5.4 on Windows XP SP3 and on OS X 10.7 under VMWare or Crossover.
asamson

Post by asamson »

Thank you, your assessment makes sense. Any info on the other topic - editable macros?
ak47wong

Post by ak47wong »

They've been requested since 2003. Do a search for "editable macros" in this forum. You won't get any more info than what's already been posted here.