Unicode Support

Ideas for new features

Moderators: AmigoJack, helios, bbadmin, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

Kiwi6469

Unicode Support

Post by Kiwi6469 »

Time for the 6th annual request for Unicode support in TextPad.

As the world moves on, Unicode text is becoming more critical. I have just recently passed the point where I can deal with my need for Unicode using \uXXXX escapes; I now need my text editor to properly support and preserve Unicode characters.

Please, Helios, for the love of all that is holy, get this done, and soon. Could you at least give us an indication of where you are at with it?
smjg

Re: Unicode Support

Post by smjg »

Kiwi6469 wrote:Please, Helios, for the love of all that is holy, get this done, and soon. Could you at least give us an indication of where you are at with it?
Or at least a clue of why whenever we ask this you refuse to answer?

I think it would be to the point to link to some past threads on the whole issue:According to the polls at this time of writing:
  • 84% want TP to support Unicode
  • 23% have given up on TP over this issue. But I think this figure is an understatement as
    1. people who have given up on TP are less likely to be active on the forums
    2. at least some have given up since originally casting their votes
Antithetical

Post by Antithetical »

Hi there.

Today is the day that I was going to buy my license for TextPad. I would gladly do so, because I love everything about it, except...you guessed it, the lack of Unicode support. I really do not want to switch to another editor, but until this issue is fixed, I have no other choice.

I know that license purchases pay for future development, but I can't commit to the product when there don't seem to be any definite plans to include what I think most people would agree should be a standard feature in any advanced text editor these days.
Ryck

Post by Ryck »

Kiwi6469 wrote:Time for the 6th annual request for Unicode support in TextPad.

As the world moves on, Unicode text is becoming more critical. I have just recently passed the point where I can deal with my need for Unicode using \uXXXX escapes; I now need my text editor to properly support and preserve Unicode characters.

Please, Helios, for the love of all that is holy, get this done, and soon. Could you at least give us an indication of where you are at with it?
Agreed.

I think I'll bother Helios with my annual request for editable macros and, indeed, a scripting language. Alas, I stopped tracking how many years it has been.
Ryck

Post by Ryck »

Antithetical wrote:Hi there.

Today is the day that I was going to buy my license for TextPad. I would gladly do so, because I love everything about it, except...you guessed it, the lack of Unicode support. I really do not want to switch to another editor, but until this issue is fixed, I have no other choice.

I know that license purchases pay for future development, but I can't commit to the product when there don't seem to be any definite plans to include what I think most people would agree should be a standard feature in any advanced text editor these days.
True. I have friends who use the free version of Textpad but won't buy-in on a product that ignores so many key features requested for today's power user.

They use a competitor's product for the features Textpad lacks but most still prefers Textpad's simple power. The funny thing is that competitor's product gets their licensing money but not Textpad. Why? The key power features of unicode support, UTF support, editable macros and scripting language.