Save everything command

Ideas for new features

Moderators: AmigoJack, helios, bbadmin, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

IanOfYork

Save everything command

Post by IanOfYork »

I leave TextPad open for weeks at a time and just hibernate my PC.
Please can we have a command to save everything -- all files, the workspace state and all settings.
bbadmin
Site Admin

Re: Save everything command

Post by bbadmin »

The Save All command currently only saves all documents and the workspace. If it was modified to also save state, do you think it would break anything?
IanOfYork

Post by IanOfYork »

From a semantic point of view "All" should probably really mean "All".
I cannot think of there being any issue with saving config data as well.

If the PC reboots, I would hope that relaunching TextPad would return to exactly how I left it after the Save-All.
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

IanOfYork wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:03 am I cannot think of there being any issue with saving config data as well.
Since you didn't provide an example of what "changed" setting is not saved for your scenario I can only assume you want an action to imitate closing TextPad without actually closing it, as settings (such as window position) are saved automatically when TextPad ends. But for reasons you still want to leave it running.
IanOfYork wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:03 amIf the PC reboots, I would hope that relaunching TextPad would return to exactly how I left it after the Save-All.
But TextPad would have a hard time distinguishing between a reboot and a normal boot of your PC to then choose between the "save all" savepoint and one where the program is just started (instead of restarted). After all a Windows session can end and a different user can log in - all this without shutting down or restarting the whole PC. What should happen in case of logging of and logging in with the same account - is that considered a "reboot" or "restart" or none of it?
bbadmin
Site Admin

Post by bbadmin »

Having mulled it over, the safest solution is to leave well alone. A new command, "Save Configuration", will be added to the Configure menu. It will save modifications to toolbars and menus, as well as other configuration changes. That will enable new instances of TextPad to inherit those changes without having to close the first instance. This is relatively trivial to implement so will be in the next release.
IanOfYork

Post by IanOfYork »

Fair enough.
A new command will allow me to add an extra toolbar button etc.
Thanks