My menu bar vanished

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, helios, bbadmin, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

LizD

My menu bar vanished

Post by LizD »

Menu bar vanished. How do I get it back? I tried all the function keys, and I couldn't find anything in the preferences.
Using version 9.3.
AmigoJack

Re: My menu bar vanished

Post by AmigoJack »

LizD wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 12:57 amI tried all the function keys
By default F10 should highlight the window menu in any program (not just TextPad). So does pressing (and releasing) Alt only.

To get to the Preferences dialog window press (and release) Ctrl+Q and then P. In there click on the Keyboard node in the treeview on the left side to adjust shortcuts. In the listbox Categories highlight the All item, then in the Commands listbox highlight the CustomizeToolbars item (remember that you can repeatedly type letters to automatically advance to items that match). Assign a shortcut to that, then save all those preferences.

Now press the newly assigned shortcut to open the Customize dialog window. In the tab Toolbars make sure the checkbox of the Menu Bar item is ticked. Close the window.
LizD

Post by LizD »

Thanks for the reply; I've done as you said and I have the customize toolbars dialog open. Menu Bar IS checked, and is for some reason greyed out and I can't uncheck/recheck it. I tried pressing the Reset button to see if that changed anything but it did not.

F10 doesn't do anything, nor does Alt.
miked

Post by miked »

Sounds like the menu bar has gone "floating" and floated off the desktop.
If you don't mind losing other layout settings, close textpad and delete or rename Roaming\Helios\TextPad\9\GUIConfig.xml from %appdata%
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

Before dumping all your GUI settings you could also try using in the Customize dialog window the tab Options and there in the pane Personalized Menus and Toolbars the button Reset menu and toolbar usage data. Likewise one could experiment with the Reset... button in the Toolbars tab - it works for each selected list item.