Search Results highlighting is invisible

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, helios, bbadmin, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

30fold

Search Results highlighting is invisible

Post by 30fold »

When I search for text TextPad highlights the result using a very light grey that is nearly invisible. Is there any way to change that specific default color? I am able to change the colors of highlighted text, current line, etc. but those all assume you know where this text is, click on it, and highlight it. What I need is to be able to see the text TextPad has found. Currently, to me, it is invisible and undetectable.
AmigoJack

Re: Search Results highlighting is invisible

Post by AmigoJack »

30fold wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 8:43 amTextPad highlights the result using a very light grey
You mean you open the Search > Find dialog, click its Find next button and leave the dialog window open? And are talking about the background color?

You can change that in Configure > Preferences > Document Classes > [for each you want] > Colors > Item > Selected text (no focus) for both colors: foreground=text and background. The screenshot is an example for the search results document (sorry, most likely this is the least Document Class you need):
20230629 TextPad search match colors.png
20230629 TextPad search match colors.png (29.5 KiB) Viewed 3540 times

Alternatively close the Find dialog window and just hit Ctrl+F again and again - then the colors of Selected text from said preferences are used, which should have more contrast.
Last edited by AmigoJack on Thu Jun 29, 2023 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: all Document Classes of interest must be modified, while "Search Results" rarily makes a difference
30fold

Post by 30fold »

Thanks sincerely. Sadly, those colors only take effect after you go to the --found text-- and click on it. By that time, your eyes have seen it. It's then considered a focused selection. When it's just --found-- by the search feature, it's just black text on a super light grey almost white background, and for these aging eyes, invisible.
https://www.loom.com/share/25ce955a571a ... 4d47ed20a8
ben_josephs

Post by ben_josephs »

AmigoJack inadvertently sent you to the wrong setting, so you set the colours for the Search Results window, not for any document window.
Set them instead for the appropriate document class or classes.
AndyH

Post by AndyH »

I have the same problem. Whether I use colours, or Document classes, I am trying to change the found results where you simply get a very, very faint dotted line around the whole line. I would like to give this a background colour so I can actually see which line the results are on. From your description of change it in document classes I changed the selected text and Selected text (no focus) and neither changes this.
kushdogg

Post by kushdogg »

Hi everyone,
I just registered so I could share the resolution. Preferences > Document Classes > Text > Colors > Selected text (no focus). I modified mine to be a yellow background and it works. When I search, it's highlighting as expected:
2023-08-29 11_19_47-Preferences.png
2023-08-29 11_19_47-Preferences.png (29.16 KiB) Viewed 3098 times
2023-08-29 11_25_23-TextPad -.png
2023-08-29 11_25_23-TextPad -.png (71.42 KiB) Viewed 3098 times
westdale

Post by westdale »

Not the only thing that is invisible with colour problems !
Just started with version 9 - after many years of using TP
  1. the scroll bar button is very faint and hard to find if working in bright light.
    It does highlight on hover and get darker but only if you hover the button itself ( which means you have found it - duhh )
    Windows 11 - whose UI is not without faults ! - manages to highlight if you hover anywhere on the toolbar.
    This is true for both the blue and white forms (slightly better) of TP
  2. The title bar does not pick up the windows colouring - so one cannot tell if TP is active quickly without a process of logic that goes -" they are all grey so the TP must be active" . This leads to typing in the wrong window - NOT GOOD.
    [ high res screen so my Python dev , application and TP windows are side by side - no one on top ]. Consistency is a good thing.
Last edited by AmigoJack on Sun Sep 03, 2023 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: actual formatting