Is it possible to prevent auto-saving of workspaces?

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, helios, bbadmin, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

elriba

Is it possible to prevent auto-saving of workspaces?

Post by elriba »

Hi,
I like using workspaces. I might open 8 files and assign them to a workspace.

Many times it has happen to me that as I work with the workspace files, I might be done with some of the files for the day, and want to concentrate on the others. I will go and close the files I'm not going to use today, and just work with the other. I might for example, out of the 8 files in the workspace, close 2, and continue working with the other 6 files.

This is fine, but now, my workspace is automatically updated so that it now ONLY REFERENCES the current 6 files. If I am done for the day and close Textpad, and reopen it later, and open the workspace, it will only load 6 files, and not the 8 files.

Please note that I didn't do "File/Workspace/Save", the workspace got updated automatically by Textpad.

Is there any way to prevent this? I would like the workspace to be ONLY UPDATED if I actually do it myself.

Hopefully I was able to explain myself....

Thanks!
ak47wong

Post by ak47wong »

Did you open another workspace? The help file explains that if you open a workspace and another one is already opened, the latter will automatically be saved and closed.

If that's what happened, the only way to prevent it being automatically saved would be to close it manually, in which case TextPad asks if you want to save changes to the workspace.
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

No, that's not possible.

You might prevent this outside TextPad: either revoke write access permission to the TWS file, or try setting its file attribute "read only" - then it should never be modified.
ben_josephs

Post by ben_josephs »

If a workspace is open in a TextPad instance, then if you close the instance or open another workspace TextPad saves the (previous) workspace.

But, as ak47wong said, you can explicitly close the workspace without saving it:
File | Workspace | Close
TextPad will ask: "Do you want to save changes to the workspace?". Say No.
Briefly: Alt+F,W,C,N

I do this quite often. You can crete a hotkey for Alt+F,W,C (File|WorkspaceClose) but, unfortunately, you can't create a hotkey or macro for the whole sequence.
Last edited by ben_josephs on Fri Aug 26, 2022 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
elriba

Post by elriba »

Thanks for your responses.

This was my experience, but I was hoping there was a setting somewhere in TextPad to prevent this.