"Show in Explorer" option for files in Document Selector

Ideas for new features

Moderators: AmigoJack, helios, bbadmin, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

mbg

"Show in Explorer" option for files in Document Selector

Post by mbg »

One thing I regularly find missing in Textpad as compared to other modern editors is an ability to quickly get to the file that is open in Windows Explorer so that I can do something else with the file (such as drag it or copy/paste the file object) somewhere else.

It'd be great if this could be added. It'd simply be a "Show in Explorer" item in the context menu of every file in Document Selector that, when clicked, Textpad would spawn a Windows Explorer window for the folder that the file is in with the corresponding file within the folder selected.
MudGuard

Post by MudGuard »

Alt-F3 opens Explorer for the current file's folder for me - using Microsoft compatibility for keyboard.

You can choose a different key combination by going to Configure -> Preferences -> Keyboard, Category Tools, Command ToolExplorer ...
mbg

Post by mbg »

MudGuard wrote:Alt-F3 opens Explorer for the current file's folder for me - using Microsoft compatibility for keyboard.

You can choose a different key combination by going to Configure -> Preferences -> Keyboard, Category Tools, Command ToolExplorer ...
Thanks - I didn't know about this, so thanks for pointing that out.

It'd be great if it was exposed on the context menu for items in Document Selector, also if it was able to select the file within the folder rather than just opening the folder.

Minor details, I guess, but they make the feature more discoverable (as compared to other editors) and easier to use (especially in folders with lots of files).