Default Find to word under cursor and auto-close Find window

Ideas for new features

Moderators: AmigoJack, helios, bbadmin, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

vdawg

Default Find to word under cursor and auto-close Find window

Post by vdawg »

Here is a feature that I was able to "sort of" implement with a macro, but it's not quite the same as my last editor, and was a feature I liked a lot:

When I press the bound "Find" (Search) key, it launches the "Find" window which is expected. The last search phrase is displayed as the text to find. This is also pretty common.

What I liked in my last editor was that it opened the Find window and automatically selected the word under the cursor (the same selection as if you had double-clicked on it) and entered that as the search term for this Find action.

I was able to create a macro to select the word under the cursor and then find it when I press CTRL+F, but then I don't have the option to change it if I truly want to look for something else. I would need a way (in a macro) to select the word (currently doable), then display the Find window with that word entered in the search terms field, leaving the window open for optional changes, or allowing the default "Find" button to be activated by pressing Enter to search on the word under the cursor.

Another Find window feature I'd like to see is an option to have the Find window close automatically after initiating the search action. I can then use F3 (or whatever the bound find-next key is) to continue looking for more occurrences without having the Find window open and in the way and having to close it manually.