Highlight matching braces, More themes & Visual Design

Ideas for new features

Moderators: AmigoJack, helios, bbadmin, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

Anand_N

Post by Anand_N »

Hi,

I have been a fan of Textpad. Its a light weight application yet very powerful text editing tool.

I would like to see the below features in Textpad that will make it more powerful and appealing

1. Highlight Matching Braces like {}, (), <>. When the cursor is at the open bracket, both the open and matching closing bracket should become bold/highlighted. Also to help formatting, a vertical line can be displayed from the opening bracket, so that the closing bracket can be exactly placed in the same column and can be connected to opening bracket

2. The Dark theme introduced in Textpad latest versions looks very nice. Please continue improving the visual design and theme with the latest and greatest designs

Many Thanks,
Anand
gblake

Post by gblake »

I agree with Anand_N. The bracket feature he describe can be found on Notepad++. I am now torn between Textpad and Notepad++ because of this, but Textpad is still the best.
Graham
Graham
Galvin

Post by Galvin »

This is an old post, but I agree. You can press a keybind to get it to check brackets, but scite and textpad++ which I think are both the same editor do this automatically just by having the cursor next to a bracket.

This feature combined with split view would work wonders for matching brackets that are 100s of lines apart.
fraserredmond

Post by fraserredmond »

+1 For this
vdawg

Post by vdawg »

I know this thread is old, but I would also very much like to see the highlighting of matching braces when the cursor is moved next to one of a matching pair. This was available in my last editor and I do miss it now.

Forgive me if this feature has been added. I did look the various Preferences and language/Document Class settings, but didn't see such an option.