Forum responsive view?

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, helios, bbadmin, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

vdawg

Forum responsive view?

Post by vdawg »

This forum doesn't appear to be responsive on mobile devices like my phone. Is there a way to enable this?
ak47wong

Post by ak47wong »

No, but the site admin appears to be toying with the idea of finally updating the version of phpBB to a newer one, which might help.
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

This is phpBB2.0.x - its default UI designed premiered almost 20 years ago in 2002. A time where "responsiveness" was not a hype and smartphones weren't en vogue either.

phpBB3.1.0 was released in late 2014 and the first one where its default UI design was made responsive. The most recent version 3.5.5 was released one month ago.

Code wise I can no longer recommend phpBB - it peaked during the 3.0.x era and now it's just uncountable files thanks to being dependent to multiple frameworks and still not fixing minor problems. You have no chance to get an overview of all that anymore. User wise it feels as good as ever, so by just "using" this software and not caring how it works under the hood it's probably still the best choice for a BBS. Over the years I've seen code of other forum softwares (VB, XenForo, Woltlab...) and that was much worse - it always made me wonder why people would pay money for a "nice" UI, fewer features and a less powerful engine.