window split vertical

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, helios, bbadmin, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

DSPinFPGA

window split vertical

Post by DSPinFPGA »

If the window is split vertically then both panes are synchronized when scrolling vertically.

Is there any way to disable the synchronization?
Best Regards

DG
ak47wong

Post by ak47wong »

I don't think so. Likewise, if a window is split horizontally, both panes are synchonized when scrolling horizontally. You'd think this would be controlled by the Configure > Synchronize Scrolling setting, but no.
helios

Post by helios »

Have you tried disabling the Synchronize Scrolling option from the Configure menu? It works for me.
Helios Software Solutions
ak47wong

Post by ak47wong »

It doesn't work for me. How could it when there's only one vertical scrollbar? As DSPinFPGA noted, "If the window is split vertically then both panes are synchronized when scrolling vertically". The Synchronize Scrolling option only affects horizontal scrolling.
DSPinFPGA

window split vertical

Post by DSPinFPGA »

[quote="helios"]Have you tried disabling the Synchronize Scrolling option from the Configure menu? It works for me.[/quote]

Assuredly it does not work (certainly not in XP classic).

Synchronization is off.

Tried Tabs on/off and horizontal scrollbar on/off as well. Same result.

Horizontal scolling cannot be disabled either.
Best Regards

DG
DSPinFPGA

update

Post by DSPinFPGA »

It looks as if the tick box Configure=>Synchronize does not work properly, but the key shortcut for the command does.

Heres another odd thing:
With vertical scroll off before horizontal split, split horizontal then turn on vertical scroll.
This only gives a scroll bar in one of the splits.
Now select the other split (the one without scroll bar) and turn on vertical scroll. A second scroll bar appears in the deselected split.
[/img]
Best Regards

DG
polebridge

Post by polebridge »

In v. 5.4.2 on Win7 HomePremium:

I can see the shortcut (C-Q,y) turn the tick-box (under Configure/SynchScrolling) on and off, but i still don't see independent vertical scrolling, as i do in horizontal scrolling (and as i see in the Zeus editor).
Cloink

How to fudge vertical split + independent scroll

Post by Cloink »

I managed to get tp to 'break' the synchronisation, same behaviour regardless of 'Synchronize Scrolling' setting!

If you use ctrl-G to Goto a line number, only that pane moves to the requested line number. (+ add on half the number of lines in your display, so that the line you want comes to the top, not the middle.)

However, the two document views then still scroll the same number of lines when you scroll either one, however the scroll is achieved.

With ctrl-G (or whatever your shortcut is for Goto), you can use +N/-N to scroll forward/back that many, so there is a sort-of workaround, but it is fiddly. (And the pane only 'scrolls' if the new line number is out of view.)