Linux Version

Ideas for new features

Moderators: AmigoJack, helios, bbadmin, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

CharlesMacfarlane

Linux Version

Post by CharlesMacfarlane »

Please, please, make this wonderful editor available in Linux!

I've wanted so long to have a Linux version of TextPad. Although some are less crap than others, current Linux text editors are all irredeemably crap. Their GUIs are clumsy and unergonomic, and their perfomance is slow, clunky, and inefficient. Even embedded in the treacle that is Wine, TextPad is still better than all of them.

Please give us a Linux version!
Cloink

Post by Cloink »

I haven't been on these forums for a while, so apologies for the long delay before replying!

If you are still following this thread Charles, you might have discovered it by now but I asked for the same thing a number of years ago and was pointed at "Wine", which is a Windows emulator (of sorts) for Linux.

I successfully got Wine up & running with TP installed. I did experience slightly 'laggy' performance, but that was on a pretty pared back laptop (Asus EEE Linux edition, probably around 2009), and one or two things that didn't quite work (though I can't remember what exactly).

But hey, we're 10years on with faster machines, and 10years' development of Wine, so it might work a dream these days...

(For me, I went back to Windows: 1. for TextPad; 2. for F1-F12.)

Hope this helps.
Clark
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wine_(software) exists for ~15 years already and works very good on average Windows software - I'm surprised it's still unknown to *nix users; the counterpart is https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cygwin to have a POSIX environment under Windows.

I don't expect TextPad to do any odd hoops which WineHQ would then warn about not having it implemented. As a software developer I know also *nix users are able to run my 32bit Windows executables without noteworthy problems - the program can even easily check wheather it runs thru WineHQ to act alternatively (i.e. check if NTDLL.DLL exports "wine_get_version").