Nearly 18 years later, and I'm still using TextPad daily

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, helios, bbadmin, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

kengrubb

Nearly 18 years later, and I'm still using TextPad daily

Post by kengrubb »

Much of my work truly revolves around TP. I would probably be lost without it.

Over the last 18 months, I've been working as a Data Warehouse DBA, which is something of a transition after 25 years as an Application Developer, 24 of those in COBOL, 23 on the Mainframe. It does throw challenges at me that I cannot solve with TP. Files over 1 GB, some over 10 GB, that I have to rip things out of to analyze.

I have an arsenal of other tools for other tasks. PowerGrep sometimes freaks me out for it's ability to rip through data. But the results always land in TP.

Some of my coworkers inability to look beyond "what they've always done" forces me into UE (which I truly don't like at all) or NP++ to explain something to them because they stare blankly at TP.

I do continue to venture out looking at other editors to know a little of what's out there and what other editors can do. There are neat things that catch my eye, and occasionally the hype catches my attention. Stumbled upon EmEditor recently for it's ability to handle and sort huge files, which is impressive. But the interface weirds me out so I know I'll never leave TP for it. For most things, particularly when I need to sort AND remove duplicates, TP kicked EE's butt! EE's ability to remove duplicates is weak, and it will die long before TP when removing duplicates.

I did recently hit a limit with TP when I tried to open a 5.66 GB file in TP. Really should be a humorous message come up in TP like, "Are you daft?"
(2[Bb]|[^2].|.[^Bb])

That is the question.
Ryck

Post by Ryck »

At work we've been using TP for 12 years. Great tool for text editing operations.

Personally I've been teaching myself UltraEdit because of its built in programming language. I gave up waiting for TP to come up with editable macros. Now I write a macro in UltraEdit and I'm able to tweak it.

But every now and then I fire up TP.

LOL
no.cache

Post by no.cache »

14 years for me. And like you, I too have Ultra-Edit, but it's so intimidating. I also still use Pagemaker (you aren't! :shock: I am! :mrgreen:) � these are what I call my comfy programs.
Trump.
Jesus wept.
kengrubb

Post by kengrubb »

I too have an UltraEdit license. For hex viewing, I like it and it's convenient. However, I've broken it's RE more than once, and I rely upon RE with my life, almost.
(2[Bb]|[^2].|.[^Bb])

That is the question.
Ryck

Post by Ryck »

Me too. I'm a reluctant UE convert because I need editable macros. I do quick cheats to TP because I've been using TP for so long I simply know where everything is and what to do.

UE is so feature rich I get lost with it and sometimes that gets in the way of what I need to do.
3284dribkcalb

it's been 24 years for me...

Post by 3284dribkcalb »

I have never used any other program for my webpages. I know there are a lot of webpage design programs; but, with Textpad I have complete control over anything I want to do with a webpage!!!
dribkcalb
daniel337PVS

nice small tool ...

Post by daniel337PVS »

... for more than twelve years for me.

I like the "compact" and powerful interface of TextPad. Using it nearly daily in the office as also at home for a long time.

And I hope that this power tool will get further function updates also in the future.

Keep on this good work with TextPad!! :-)

Daniel