Default DOS encoding fails with document classes

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

Tom0815

Default DOS encoding fails with document classes

Post by Tom0815 »

Hello,

I have a problem (possibly a bug?) with the newest Textpad versions:

Files with extensions .cmd and .bat are always opened with ANSI codepage, although there is a valid document class which defines default DOS encoding.
It works fine with Textpad 7.5.1, but not with 7.6.2 and 8.0.2 (x64 versions).
Tom0815

Bug still in 8.1.0

Post by Tom0815 »

Hello,

is there a chance to get a reply?
The problem still exists in 8.1.0
bbadmin
Site Admin

Post by bbadmin »

This is a bug which will be fixed in the next few days. Thanks for reporting it.

Keith MacDonald
Helios Software Solutions
Tom0815

Post by Tom0815 »

Hello Keith,

many thanks for your response.
I'm using your software for years and happy that I can still use Textpad in actual versions.
Pi

Post by Pi »

BBAdmin wrote in November 2016 "This is a bug which will be fixed in the next few days.

I just downloaded 8.15, Trial-Version. And the DOS-Encoding seems to have been gone completely.

I normally use 7.6.4, Paid-Version, and DOS-Encoding does not work - I can't seem to save the settings
bbadmin
Site Admin

Post by bbadmin »

You can open an individual file containing DOS characters by selecting that encoding on the Open File dialog box.

Alternatively, you can create a document class for file names with a given extension and set its default encoding to DOS.

Both these options work for me. What have you tried?
Pi

Post by Pi »

I have created a Document-Class, but the setting "use for DOS-Files" is not saved

I have created a Document-Class, but there is no setting "use for Dos-Files"

I never use the "Open"-Dialogue, as I select the Files in Explorer or as Files last Used
ben_josephs

Post by ben_josephs »

Set
Configure | Preferences | Document Classes | <your class> | Default encoding: DOS
Pi

Post by Pi »

"Set
Configure | Preferences | Document Classes | <your class> | Default encoding: DOS"

I use the German Version. But apart from that

I did that in 7.54, but the setting is not saved to the configuration file or the registry or wherever to. Where are the settings saved, by the way, could this be the real problem?

In 8.15 I do not find "DOS" at all.
bbadmin
Site Admin

Re: Default DOS encoding fails with document classes

Post by bbadmin »

TextPad 8 stores its configuration in %APPDATA%\Helios\TextPad\8\ConfigState.xml, rather than in the registry.

You can create a document class named "DOS" using Configure/New Document Class. TextPad 8 doesn't have one by default, as both it and Windows use Unicode internally and the DOS character set is just a subset of that.

Depending on the purpose of your files, it may be better to save them encoded as UTF-8, and then they can contain a mixture of ANSI and DOS characters.