TextPad 6.1.3 not in right-click/Context Menu (Windows 7)

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, helios, bbadmin, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

ech3

TextPad 6.1.3 not in right-click/Context Menu (Windows 7)

Post by ech3 »

I've tried checking/un-checking/checking the Context Menu option in Configure->Preferences (many, many times).

It's a Windows 7 Pro 64 bit machine built by me with a clean install of Windows.

I installed TextPad with an administrator account.

(The strange thing...it works correctly on my cheapie laptop with Windows 7 Home Premium.)

-----

Licensed user since 4.7
ech3

Post by ech3 »

Just to follow up my own post...I did a second complete reinstall of Windows 7 immediately followed by an install of TextPad.

Still doesn't work. No matter what I try, TextPad will not show up in the context menu.

Checking/unchecking the Context Menu option, stopping/restarting TextPad, rebooting Windows. Nothing works.
ech3

Post by ech3 »

Nobody?

Helios?

I was able to reproduce this bug twice.
huflueck

Context Menu opens very slow after update to 6.1.3

Post by huflueck »

Similar issue here ...

After updating from 5.4.2 to 6.1.3 on Windows 7 64-Bit the context Menu opens very very (10 to 20 seconds) slow (SEND TO works as expected)

v6.1.3 deinstalled/rebooted/reinstalled the same problem.

CLSID for CONTEXT MENU manually deleted in registry, rebooted the system, reopened Textpad to reactivate CONTEXT MENU (strange: option in config settings is still activated), deactivated/reactivated -> has no effect anymore: CONTEXT MENU can not be reactivated anymore!

SEND TO still works, btw

helios, please help

Licensed user since more than 10 years
CodeBase

Post by CodeBase »

I had the same problem in v6.1.3. When I reverted to v5.4.2, it works again. I will stay with 5.4.2 until ... well, for a while.
drewlt

Post by drewlt »

Same issue - Open since August 31st? Interesting there is no response...
paul1

Post by paul1 »

I just reinstalled Windows 7 x64 a few days ago and now I have the same problem (version 6.1.3). However, in my previous Windows 7 x64 system I did not have this issue (also version 6.1.3). I suspect there is a missing Visual C++ library file that is needed. Would anyone happen to know? Thank you.
kraithel

Post by kraithel »

Hi altogether,

I had the same problem on my Win7x64pro machine with 6.1.3. I repaired it by copying some registry entries from another machine, where the Context entry worked:

Code: Select all

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\TextPad]
@="{ABECE8A0-FF84-4efb-82AE-9B3181CE097D}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{ABECE8A0-FF84-4efb-82AE-9B3181CE097D}]
@="TextPad"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{ABECE8A0-FF84-4efb-82AE-9B3181CE097D}\InProcServer32]
@="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\TextPad 6\\System\\shellext64.dll"
"ThreadingModel"="Apartment"
[/color]

Maybe you have to adjust some of the pathes (i.e. "C:\Program Files (x86)\TextPad 6\System\shellext64.dll"), but for me it worked. You also should verify that the DLL "shellext64.dll" exists. If you copy the entries into a .REG file, save it as "Unicode".

Hope that helps :)
Regards
/Klaus
rdcpro

Post by rdcpro »

Thanks, kraithel!

This worked great for me. I had the ContextMenuHandlers entry, but was missing the entire CLSID key and subkeys.

One note to people who copy/paste the code. Make sure you remove the trailing whitespace character that you get when copying from the page. The code works, but when you paste into notepad, remove all trailing whitespace.

Regards,
Mike Sharp